DjangoBooks.com

What to think of Occidental Gypsy

murrayatuptownmurrayatuptown Holland, MI✭✭
edited January 2015 in Welcome Posts: 59
The band Occidental Gypsy is booked at a local music venue in February and I'm a bit puzzled by the direction they take manouche into.

They are free to do so, and don't represent themselves as 'textbook manouche', but they are 'closer to it' than a number of other 'gypsy-influenced' bands, some of which I hear very little influence in...

I actually find the barely-influenced variety easier to listen to without presumption than OG because OG preserves enough instrumentation, technique and harmony that I am biased to listen to them as manouche...and can't help myself getting frustrated.

The intrumentation and what I described to someone as 'swingus interruptus', a pattern I may have unfortunately stumbled on by my choice of videos to preview, in which they seem to like to stop and start alot once they get some swing going. It seems to be part of their style, but I felt like someone jammed a broom handle into the spokes when things got moving. Maybe things would smooth out over a whole set.

The seem to be using alot of the 'tonal center/tonality' or 'mood' of manouche but not so much other elements. I struggle to describe it, and just attempted to do so yesterday for a person not very familiar with the traditional-modern end of the spectrum of the genre.

I told the person that they were talented, that it would be nice to seem a band with that skill level locally, and that I plan on attending if it fits my schedule...but they confuse me...and that might just be me...they do not misrepresent themselves and qualify as more legitimately-influenced than some other folks...

Opinions appreciated...

Comments

• bopsterbopster St. Louis, MOProdigy Wide Sky PL-1, 1940? French mystery guitar, ‘37 L-4
    Just sit back, relax and see if they move you.
  • Al WatskyAl Watsky New JerseyVirtuoso
    I checked their website.
    They're in it to win it !
    Its honest work that includes every influence from every swing era and world music and everything else it seems.
    Its music, I bet its a good show.
    Go get entertained.
  • Don't forget to leave your judgements at the door. You can always pick them up on the way out and coming to a concert with the heart of an innocent can sometimes be a real eye opener.
    pickitjohnJSantaVeedonFleece
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • murrayatuptownmurrayatuptown Holland, MI✭✭
    edited February 2015 Posts: 59
    I enjoyed the show a lot.

Sadly there were only a couple dozen people in the audience, but the musicians were very gracious and nice to talk to.

The Selmer-looking guitar Brett Feldman, the lead guy and primary composer has, is actually a vintage Selmer replica Eimers. It does look very aged up close.

The violinist Eli BIshop was excellent. He plays in a number of other styles as well, competing in Grand Master Fiddler events, playing Bach two-part violin solos himself, and is or was also part of 'The Deadly Gentlemen'. Lastly, and rather mysterious (to me), he displaced the previous Guiness Book of World Records 'faster clapper'. The previous record was 805/minute and he topped it at 975. I'm not sure where that goes on your resume...last line maybe?

The bassist, Jeff, is an MD for his day gig.