DjangoBooks.com

Rose Room

Charles MeadowsCharles Meadows WV✭✭✭ ALD Original, Dupont MD50
in Technique Posts: 432
I've been tabbing out Rose Room of the Rosenberg's Live in Samois album. Man this swings like heck!

Anyone know how Stochelo fingers the little triplet run up the neck after the first verse? He's copying Django. I can't tell if he uses the G string or just the E and B. It starts at 0:59 in the clip.

Comments

• BonesBones Moderator
    edited January 2015 Posts: 3,319
    Hey Charles, no clue but post a tab if you figure it out. That's a great one.

Edit- there's a tab of Django's version here. Not sure if it is what Stochelo is doing.

http://jazz.chansons.free.fr/guitarejazz2.htm
  • bopsterbopster St. Louis, MOProdigy Wide Sky PL-1, 1940? French mystery guitar, ‘37 L-4
    This works...
    lostjohn
  • mandocatmandocat Santa Rosa, CA✭✭✭ AJL XO, Eastman 905CE, PRS SE
    Since he's copying Django I would think it's done on the first 2 strings. I don't see how you would play it on the first 3 strings with 2 fingers.
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    there's a chance that i might be wrong, but i remember seeing him play this live a few times, and he did on the 3 strings, it could've been another song though where django played it on 2 strings but stochelo converted it to 3 for easier picking.

Stochelo isn't that anal about following django's fingerings exactly, i've seen him simplify things a bit, and there's a chance django would have to, if he could have!!
    Charles Meadows
  • StevearenoSteveareno ✭✭✭
    edited January 2015 Posts: 349
    Love this video. It got me pumped on GJ when it was first posted. Quite different to Charlie Christian's/Benny Goodman version. Both very cool, but The Rosenberg's really caught my ear. There's a pretty close arrangement with tab and CD, in The Best of DR book (Hal Leonard publication by Joe Charupakorn). Same key, etc.
    Swang on,
  • Kevin FurnissKevin Furniss France✭✭ AJL 503 XO
    Excellent....... and Cyrille Aimée jigging along at 29 and 39 seconds in, just above Stochelo's fretting hand !
    terrassier wrote: »
    Excellent....... and Cyrille Aimée jigging along at 29 and 39 seconds in, just above Stochelo's fretting hand !

Wow what a catch!

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel