DjangoBooks.com

Rest stroke question

2»

Comments

• ChiefbigeasyChiefbigeasy New Orleans, LA✭✭✭ Dupont MDC 50; The Loar LH6, AJL Silent Guitar
    Thanks for the extremely detailed feedback, Buco. While I agree with you that not many styles of play generate as much specificity around picking--never much thought about it playing folk, blues, R&B--Gypsy Jazz sound is built around picking technique. (So is Flamenco, for that matter, though without the pick, the technique is centered around right hand rest stroke finger-picking, five finger rhythm variations and percussive sounds, and complimentary fret hand hammer-ons and pull offs.)

Furthermore, quick scale, arpeggio, and melody runs are also classically enshrined in the development of the Gypsy Jazz sound. Django, while by no means the fastest player, was fluid and swift, even with just two fingers.

My persistent questioning about this subject is basically personal. I don't have a whole life in front of me to eventually "get there" the way the great players have. At 60 and still working a day job, I'm just trying to make the best use of my time.

Thanks for reminding me about that video with the exercises. I've got a video capture of it. He has several other sets of practice videos that I've used as well.

Lately, I learned the waltz Indifference and have been using it to warm up my picking and fretting hands. It's a beautiful tune and it gives everything a good workout.

Last night, I spent about a half hour trying to, yet again, get that signature opening lick to Minor Blues down. Sounded pretty good by the end of the night. How much ya wanna bet that when I sit down to play it tonight, I'll fumble it again.

Exasperating!