DjangoBooks.com

Regarding "Who's the hot chick"

adrianadrian AmsterdamVirtuoso
in Welcome Posts: 545
Hey, I wanted to chime in here with a point about this kind of talk in our community.

From time to time, people complain about how gypsy jazz is mostly a man's world. At any given event, whether a jam or a festival, it's mostly dudes and few women.

I think most (all?) of us would agree it'd be great for this music if more women were involved, both as musicians and as listeners. Making statements like "Who's the hot chick" -- even if innocent and with no bad intentions -- sends a message that this is a boys' club. At best, it can make women feel uneasy; at worst, it can dissuade them from participating entirely.

I don't mean to single out the people in the "Who's the hot chick" thread (and I realize it's almost five years old!). I've seen many posts on this forum over the years that objectify women -- again, likely with no bad intentions, just in subtle ways. Point is, we can and should do better. If more people get interested in gypsy jazz, we all benefit.

Adrian
kevingcoxBarkonatorNoneBucoRob MacKillop

Comments

• Well said.
  • rimmrimm Ireland✭✭✭✭ Paul doyle D hole, washburn washington
    Adrian, no offence but it was written in a totally innocent way and if that offends you then you have to get out more..I am sure I can probably can 'do better' but there's no way I'm going to let someone preach to me about how I should approach posting on a forum. If you ever met me you would know that I try to not take myself to seriously, no offence was ever meant to the fairer sex and if michael wishes to remove this five year old post from the board then I will in no way be put out, but at a time where the freedom of speech issue is very much to the fore then I think it would be a bit daft. Sorry to go on a bit but your post if anything has highlighted a throw away remark, and seems sanctimonious in the extreme.
    Stringswinger
    I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell
  • AndrewUlleAndrewUlle Cleveland, OH✭✭✭ Cigano GJ-15
    It almost seems nowadays you can get yourself into more trouble by what you say, rather than what you do. DEFINITELY leave out the b- and c- words! (Just trying to keep it light here) ;)
    rimm
    And by the way I resent the term 'dude', I find it demeaning and it makes me feel uncomfortable. If anything I would like more men at our gigs to at least chat about pic width and string life. Most of our recent ones have been wall to wall 'broads' -not like the sausage fest that some other bands get.
  • ShemiShemi Cardiff✭✭✭
    To be fair, it only seems an innocent or a "throw away" remark if you're a guy. I think Stuart made a fair point (especially if you consider it from the female point of view) and delivered it in an adult and respectful manner. Be thankful dude is the worst you get and you are afforded the privilege to act like a petulant child because someone had the temerity to politely suggest an alternative opinion.
    adrian
    ...and you are? I have already had the title changed so let's move on shall we? Cheers.
  • ShemiShemi Cardiff✭✭✭
    I'm sorry, I didn't realise there was a hierarchy of opinion on this site. I wouldn't have said anything if you had just asked to have the title changed. All the best.
    You're brilliant. Anyway, storm/teacup.
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    wow it's been a while since there was controversy here... you guys should check out the french forums hahah all hell breaks loose...

this forum attracts more international people, i saw it as more of a cultural thing when i saw that rimm was the one who posted it. i've met him quite a few times, really nice family guy. we even had a little small internet clash a while back, but words hardly ever convey the way people really intend things. Rimm is definitely Irish hahahaha. I don't mean that in a bad way at all , but every where you go, there are different cultural conventions that might surprise people... you go to holland or germany, it's not uncommon to hear black people being referred to as.... well i'm not even going to see it... are they actually racist? i'm not sure, but when i've heard dutch/germans speak those words, they said it so very casually, it just seemed so normal to them. It definitely made me uncomfortable but i wasn't going to go on a tirade about not using those terms with them... sometimes one's cultural upbringing strongly influences one to think in a particular way that may sound "offensive" but where none was intended.

I have mixed feelings about political correctness, as with many things, it's a double edged sword.

all this to say, i have contributed absolutely nothing to this thread...
    adrianrimm
  • fraterfrater Prodigy
    I agree. "Chick" is so gross. "Woman" maybe not respectful enough. I would suggest to use the term "Lady" instead from now on... :-)
    rimm