DjangoBooks.com

Regarding "Who's the hot chick"

Comments

• ShemiShemi Cardiff✭✭✭
    IMHO opinion Dennis, there are many things that were considered normal which, because they were challenged, changed things for the better. It's how we progress as human beings and some cultural norms should change for the benefit of all. Casual racism, sexism, or whatever, is not, and should not be ok. Granted it might not be malicious, but it should be pointed out IMO. Think of the word "gypsy" for instance... should we not be challenging the preconceived notions that word alone has to many people?

My wife has made me realise the sheer amount of lewd, sexual comments a woman experiences in a day. That is not even counting the language and comments that are commonplace... they all stack up. Every time she leaves the house she gets the most disgusting things said to her. Of course, when I'm with her no one says a thing, so I was quite shocked and didn't want to believe what she was saying at first. This is not only a common, daily thing for her but for many women. That must get tiring pretty quick. So if you consider that, I don't think it is unfair to point out language and behaviour (even if innocent) that might turn women away, because the reality is that it does.

Rimm, I know it was an innocent comment it was just your conduct after it was pointed out that got to me. That being said, no hard feelings and I wish you all the best. :-)

Buco
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    edited January 2015 Posts: 2,161
    that's quite true, which is why i said i contributed nothing to the post and mentioned the idea of PC being double edged. As someone pointed out earlier, it's so easy to offend these days with words than with actions...

i have very mixed feelings about the term Gypsy... for a lot of Sinti Gypsies, the term is quite fine and they see nothing wrong with it.... then there are some Roma in Eastern Europe with a bit of political voice who are campaigning to make it derogatory... I really don't know. I asked a worldly/educated Sinti friend of mine his thoughts on this, and he felt it was absurd to suggest that the term Gypsy was offensive, he was proud of being one, and had no problems with it. His reasons for this was that etymologically, the word Gypsy came from a time when people thought Gypsies were Egyptian, and therefore it was harmless. That was his reasoning. By the same token , if i'm not mistaken, the "n" word used to describe black people was also a neutral word, but because it was used so much in a racist fashion , it's become a highly offensive word. So in that sense, it all boils down to intent in usage. So if we replace the word Gypsy with Roma, what difference will it make considering that people will still be racist against them and use the same word in a racist way.... I remember using the word Jap to describe the Japanese many many many many years ago on a forum, just because I didn't feel like typing it all out, and it was really innocent on my part, until a Japanese fellow explained to me that it was offensive, and went to talk about why it was offensive. Fair enough, i have not used that term since, but again, it only became offensive because people used it with malicious intent... yet the word is really just an abbreviation...Really we can make any word offensive if we want... I suggest the word: Arpeggio.

well this is a music forum, i dont want to make this go off topic , as i seem to have been doing lately...

all this to say, let's shut up , and play music... that way we can only offend with m7b5 arpeggios over dimished chords!
    Shemi
  • DragonPLDragonPL Maryland✭✭ Dupont MD 50-XL (Favino), Michael Dunn Stardust, Castelluccia Tears, Yunzhi gypsy jazz guitar, Gitane DG-320, DG-250M and DG-250
    Don't want go off much on this as this is a music forum, but geeezz people, grow up, are we regressing to a sandbox level where we cry to our mommies because so-and-so called us this-and-that ? That's all I'm saying....
    rimm
  • Teddy DupontTeddy Dupont Deity
    I do find a lot of political correctness very wearying. It often generates prejudice and jingoism because people get fed up with being forever told what they must not say. I am not suggesting for a moment that it is acceptable to rush round insulting people but I do think many of the PC brigade should get a life.
    DragonPLrimmA Gent
  • rimmrimm Ireland✭✭✭✭ Paul doyle D hole, washburn washington
    I agree with the sentiments of the last two posts -even though they come from Americans. <:-P
    I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 4,735
    As one of the prudes who thumbed up Adrian's original post I'm the first in line to yell WTF when people overdo political correctness.
    I've been somewhat wondering how come white people in US aren't refereed to as European Americans?
    But I get the social and historical connotations of the other side of the medal so I'm accepting it.
    When I was a freshman in the US I was cracking up my friend all the time with innocent/dumb/uninformed questions such as "how come black people are considered a minority, there's so many of them?"
    Hot chick?
    Meathead dude?
    Yes it depends on the intent. If someone yelled out on the street to either me or my wife the above (me being the "hot chick" of course) I'm not sure I'd be happy.
    Posted on the internet forum, not a big deal really.
    The big picture of Adrian's message though is a 100% on point.
    Rimm, being imported in the US myself I always appreciated your direct and spontaneous approach with an ironic dose of humor. It's just that I saw Adrian in this post as merely an adviser and some of the responses are as if he were a prosecutor, kinda imbalanced.
    bopsterkevingcoxadrian
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • Teddy DupontTeddy Dupont Deity
    rimm wrote: »
    I agree with the sentiments of the last two posts -even though they come from Americans. <:-P
    @-) I am English dear boy!!!!!
  • DragonPLDragonPL Maryland✭✭ Dupont MD 50-XL (Favino), Michael Dunn Stardust, Castelluccia Tears, Yunzhi gypsy jazz guitar, Gitane DG-320, DG-250M and DG-250
    rimm wrote: »

Polish dude here LOL ....
    rimm
    Teddy! Here's me thinking you're a yank the whole time..are you based in the states? I watched a video a long time ago of you playing and was sure it was in the states..i shall carry out any further conversations with you in cockney going forward.
    http://www.hotclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6143 As an aside, this was probably the last great kerfuffle, whatever happened to that Payne chap?