DjangoBooks.com

Getting more Ladies into Gypsy Jazz

2»

Comments

• kungfumonk007kungfumonk007 ✭✭✭✭
    Well I didn't raise the issue at all - I just wanted to make a joke about a gypsy jazz boy band :0) which I still think is a great idea - but what you said is so true. Here in Denver every attempted gypsy jazz jam is instantly ruined by modern jazz players who call a bunch of jazz tunes, and just play a bunch of jazz. Denver is overflowing with very talented bebop players who unfortunately don't realize there was such thing as music before Dizzy. If there is to be a gypsy jazz jam here a seasoned player has to be there controlling the night and insuring it doesn't just turn into another bebop session. No one really wants to do that, and there are a few players who actively oppose a gypsy jazz jam as they see it as competition for them and there gigs.

It is a niche genre, we've had this conversation before, though I still am going to do what I can to expand it as much as I can and probably drive myself CRAZY!
  • I beleive one can be somewhat open in some countries but I suspect that there has to be someone who can be the arbiter of what goes.....the jam leader if you will...

They have to be able to say no.....,, perhaps because some people don't seem to have the same respect for traditions.....America after all is the paragon of individuality.....

..in the public jams I have been part of here not had any issues...

I agree with you @Bob Holo, this is an issue of vital importance to our community.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • bopsterbopster St. Louis, MOProdigy Wide Sky PL-1, 1940? French mystery guitar, ‘37 L-4
    edited January 2015 Posts: 513
    When I lead my jam in St. Louis, I make it known that it is 1) acoustic instruments only, 2) music Django or his disciples play. There are enough regulars that know the drill and follow my lead. Any modern players that have come have been respectful of the vibe set forth. In fact, we attract bluegrass, and some classical players more than "jazz" guys. Any issues that come up may be related to basic etiquette: only solo during your turn, keep the rhythm volume under the soloist, etc.

One thing that may be a factor here in St. Louis is a distinction between two groups of musicians that share a common musical tradition: Jazz players and Swing players. Jazz players play Real Book tunes of Bop, Hard Bop, and standards from after 1940. They play for the listener and themselves, and will choose shredding tunes all the time.

Swing players play for dancers, which host lots of events around here. Their repertoire is 1895- 1935 - the same tunes that Django played. Their mindset is to be melodic and rhythmic and make things swing. They want to play their respective repertoire to know the tunes better and play with likeminded souls. These are the folks that show up from time to time; only occasionally does a Jazz player show up, and either they sit and listen or sit in and blend in with the group.

I think the venue, a rather large Starbucks, gives the vibe of a relatively quiet atmosphere, and we are definitely respectful of that and the staff. All of us buy beverages while there, and a small group of fans that come regularly, does the same. I developed a relationship with the manager first, and she was on board from the get go.

I have had this group going for about 2 years with no signs of slowing down!
    Jazzaferri
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    Since i run DC music school and since i also have lots of free products , every month when i do accounting, i'm just surprised by the number of women customers, they all get the violin stuff... the guys get the guitar stuff.. there are exceptions of course.

even beyond gypsy jazz though, as far as non-classical guitar goes, and as far as non-cowboy strumming goes, it's a male dominated world as well. Why is that? In classical music for instance, there are tons of female virtuoso musicians. Even in classical guitar, there are tons of frighteningly amazing female musicians.

So why are women afraid of picks? yes yes i know it rhythms with something else...

and yes i do know that there are great women players who play with picks as well but they are a minority... actually, i've noticed a number of them also play for the other team, off the top of my head i can already name 7. It doesn't bother me (and hopefully should not bother anyone else), but i've always wondered why that is!

the same effort it takes to play classical guitar is the same for learning to play any other style of pick based guitar... in fact i would even dare say it's even more stressful and demanding!

i've been to a number of gypsy jazz festivals and see men behave in strange ways with women. At best lots of obvious simple flirting, at worst, touching/groping.

I felt really bad for this one young lady once, she was a pretty good player too, and all the men were surrounding her and touching her.

Jazzaferri
  • kevingcoxkevingcox Nova Scotia✭✭✭✭ Dupont MD50
    As someone whose female significant other is also into GJ I have had an inside track on the kind of stuff that Denis just mentioned at festivals. What the men perceive as an innocent and passing flirtation (fairly enough, since for them that is all it is) for the women is a nearly non-stop barrage of sexualized conversations and advances. Some girls seem to like it, some like it every once in a while, but the repetitive and ubiquitous nature of it can still be very taxing even to an observer like myself. I have certainly heard women complain that they just want to focus on the music while they have the chance rather than managing men's egos all day.
    JazzaferriShemiadrianwim
  • I have only had one jam in the last few years...and that an impromptu one on a summer's day after an outdoor gig.....small and fun, But there was definitely a mismatch between known repertoire.

....all midweek nights are taken up with rehearsals. Not even sure there is a regular jam any more. Wish there was an after 10 GJ Jam here. I need to get out more
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    For the record Grappelli Camp in Holland is ... errr ... whatever the opposite of sausage-fest is called. As a man there you are in the minority amongst many female violinists. It will be interesting to see if this becomes more 50-50 this year, they are trying to make it more inviting to guitarists