DjangoBooks.com

lr baggs lyric , anyone tried one yet?

I am looking for a more genuine acoustic tone in a Dupont Md-50 then I am getting from K $ K. I heard rumors that this was the first acoustic pickup that Jorgenson would use on stage (but not from a reliable source).
I heard one in an old Martin 0-18 and it sounded great for finger picking, no piezo quack. I am mainly a rhythm player. My apologies if this has been covered before, please feel free to point me towards a previous discussion that I missed in my search.

Comments

• ShemiShemi Cardiff✭✭✭
    Glad you like the sound in the Martin, my birthday is in a few weeks and I'm putting one of these into my Stonebridge. I'm primarily a fingerpicker as well!

I've been looking into it a bit and the reason I've chosen this pick up is because the accounts I've heard are that they really do recreate the natural sound of the guitar. I imagine that being a mic they would work well in most guitars.
  • Al WatskyAl Watsky New JerseyVirtuoso
    I've installed a couple of them in Steel String flat tops. A Louden and a Taylor. Its good for what it is. No feed back issues, very forgiving of placement and sounds pretty good. I hear it as a simulation of a microphone sound. Some players like it . LRBaggs makes good stuff.
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    Just curious here, Al, as I'm not actually in the market for one of these things, but "It's good for what it is" isn't exactly a glowing review...? So I'm wondering if there's some other product, possibly more expensive, which you think is superior?
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • Al WatskyAl Watsky New JerseyVirtuoso
    edited January 2015 Posts: 440
    I think all the products out on the market work.
    They all sound different.
    I know what I use.
    On the 1 French/Italian guitar I've bothered to amplify.
    My advice is for the user to settle on a pick up system that seems to suit their guitar and then tailoring their rig to compliment the combined elements that factor into the sound, that being the character of the instrument and the coloration of the pickup.
    The different types of pickup have a characteristic sound.
    There is not a magic bullet .
    The player has to come to the game ready to work t'words their idealized sound.
    I install many systems. They all have their uses. No one pickup works ideally on every guitar .
    I've heard great players sound great one day and bad the next , all with the same guitar and pickup.
    Telling folks what pickup , preamp and amp to use with out hearing their guitar and playing style and what real world use they intend to put it to ; is kinda fun but its in some ways futile.
    Also its good to focus on the idea that there are practice room problems and giging problems. They are different sets of issues and factors.
    All of this is a preamble to my saying. "Buy it and try it."
    Its the only way to learn and know.
  • Me I just stick with mic's. Haven't had a feedback problem yet that a notch couldn't solve....
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • jduvickjduvick New
    Hi, new to this forum... having tried pretty much everything over the years, I can back up the statement that you have to experiment... I currently use Baggs Lyric on a D-35 for a surprisingly authentic amplified sound (it is actually a heavily EQ'd microphone element), backed up with an external dynamic mic when I need a beefier bass end. I really like the Schatten HFN-C passive for nylon string guitars and the HFN passive for some (but not all) steel strings ( this pickup didn't suit the D-35 in the least). In all cases judicious EQ is required to get a balanced tone that matches the venue, and the passive models obviously need a preamp.
    I am just starting to research the best options for amplifying an Altamira M30D. I would like to think the Baggs Lyric would suit it really well, especially since I don't need a huge low end, but since it looks like I won't be able to install an endpin jack, that makes things a bit interesting!-Jon
  • Frank WekenmannFrank Wekenmann Germany✭✭✭✭
    I tried a Lyric for a very short time with the help of a friend who runs a local guitar shop who put it into my O-hole without attatching it permanently. The sound was not bad, but IMO it would have needed quite a lot of equalizing from a preamp to sound as crisp as I would have liked it to sound. The other big problem was that you need a battery to run it, and how would you change a battery when you cannot reach into the soundhole (at least I can't)? My friend actually called Baggs and they told him one could construct an outside battery container, so this problem could be solved, but, as I said, the sound didn't convince me enough to buy it.
  • Have been using a K&K Definity on my Dupont but tried the AT Pro 70 at a gig last night and was blown away! I experimented with placement, using a gooseneck mount but found that the soundhole clip actually yielded the best sound for me. I was gonna blend the K&Kand At 70 through a Fishman Loudbox Artist but found that the mic sufficed! Fed the Fishman into Heath Allen Mixer and then to QSC K10s. Volume was fine competing with an Eimer D hole with DPA 4009 through a Fishman Tower. Bass through amp, snare drum and cymbals miked, and violin miked both through PA.
    Tone was very acoustic and dry.
  • jduvickjduvick New
    I installed a Baggs Lyric in an Altamira M30D, along the center top brace, up against the crossbrace -- see photo -- . I'm pretty happy with the sound, very acoustic-y. Feedback issues minimal based on one live gig. This is a D-hole instrument so installation/battery access not an issue -- I wouldn't try this on an oval hole guitar!
    BTW the key to enlarging the metal tailpiece hole for an endpin jack was to use a 1/8 to 1/2 inch step drill bit. Cuts like magic!
    jonathanmaness
  • jonpowljonpowl Hercules, CA✭✭✭ Dupont MD-100, Altamira M01F
    @rgrice Did you try the AT70 on your Dupont MD30?