DjangoBooks.com

Critique me please!

Charles MeadowsCharles Meadows WV✭✭✭ ALD Original, Dupont MD50
in Technique Posts: 432
Gotta try to get the pompe right before D in J.

Any advice appreciated.

Please excuse the messy room!

Comments

• kungfumonk007kungfumonk007 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2015 Posts: 421
    I think it is really hard to tell dynamics and tone over these computer/phone microphones so it is hard to say. From what I am hearing I just think really working on getting the bass to develop out of the guitar would be good :0) These guitars are weird, especially I feel in the bass response, you really have to caress the bass tones out. Maybe someone can explain it better. Sounds good though! If you want to have some fun use this metronome and set it half time so it hits 2 and 4. You can also set it to 1/4 tempo so it just hits 2 or 4. http://bestdrumtrainer.com/tt/
    Charles Meadows
  • ScoredogScoredog Santa Barbara, Ca✭✭✭✭
    Hey Charles, the feel is good but I think you can do a couple of things to improve it. Now you and I may not go for the same thing so take what I say with a grain of salt (actually I prefer garlic). I try to make my rhythm a bit less ringy (tighter). 2 ways you may try to get the rhythm a bit tighter is push through beat one so it is more like a quick rake, not a slap or strum like motion. Also you may try to use a rounded edge of the pick initially to get rid of a bright attack. On the good side you are emphasizing the first 4 strings on the one and all the strings on beat 2 so you are close.
    Charles Meadows
  • Charles MeadowsCharles Meadows WV✭✭✭ ALD Original, Dupont MD50
    Thanks guys. Keep it coming. Yeah I think I should work on that first stroke to rake it more. I'd like to get my 1 and 3 to sound like Adrian Holovaty on that Park of yours Scoredog!
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Hey Chas, Yeah what Scoredog said. Also, if you maybe damp more (grip less) with your left hand it will get rid of some of the ringing. Think shorter pulses (more space between beats) and dryer tone. Listen/play along with the groups that you like and try to sound like them. Otherwise a good solid start.
    Charles Meadows
  • JonJon melbourne, australiaProdigy Dupont MD50B, '79 Favino
    I think it sounds quite good, but I'd like to hear the upstroke before every 1 and 3. The longer notes are ok for the old school thing, which is what I really like. You could damp more though, as noted above, but I quite like the wild, raucous, trad pompe over the clean modern one.
    Charles Meadows
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    i agree w the others, it s hard to tell over a youtube video, and there are so many ways to do it... i personally categorize rhythm playing into two big families as far as the left hand is concerned : long tone and short tone. most people do short tone and have difficulty with long tone, so it s cool to see that u can do it fairly well... however i think u can work on getting thr cut off point of the left hand a bit more consistent in the timing of things. it should roughly be the same on all four beats

as far as the riht hand goes, i have another two categoriess.. upstroke and no upstroke. within the upstroke category, there are many ways of doing it as well... from your video, it s hrd to tell what you are trying to do, and it should generally be consistent, so try to figure out what it is you re going after.

so with these four cateogries, u have all sorts of different possible combinations and there s so much you can do with rhythm playing as far as sound goes.

what you re doing in the video is but one way, and what you are doing sounds quite good as far as i can tell... i agree that u can maybe try to get a bit more oomf on the bass on 1 and 3
    Charles Meadows
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Oh yeah, as Dennis said, I try to emphasize the bass strings (while still hitting all 6) because I like that deep tone and also to stay out of the higher register for the soloist.
    Charles Meadows
  • Just a suggestion....if you like Adrian's sound, you should practice with that sound and duplicate it as much as possible until you have that sound.
    I agree with Bones that I prefer to keep that deeper tone (while hitting all six strings) to stay out of the way of the soloists.
    Charles Meadows
  • ScoredogScoredog Santa Barbara, Ca✭✭✭✭
  • Charles MeadowsCharles Meadows WV✭✭✭ ALD Original, Dupont MD50
    Adrian has such a nice warm bassy rake through the strings on 1 and 3. I almost think I could pick him out of a lineup! But using the Denis classification I think I can say I gravitate toward the older sounding pompe.