DjangoBooks.com

The Gypsy Jazz Jam Guide

DjangoBooksDjangoBooks Seattle✭✭✭ All of them!
edited March 2015 in Gypsy Jazz 101 Posts: 446
imageThe Gypsy Jazz Jam Guide

By Michel Mercier “Ready for 23 minutes of ‘All of Me’? Who takes first solo?” After years of jamming in various situations, with all kinds of players, a recent discussion on Denis Chang’s facebook page had me figuring it could be useful to write about Gypsy Jazz jams and etiquette. We...

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    edited March 2015 Posts: 6,153
    Nice piece from Michel! We've always followed the 3 guitar max rule at my jams in Seattle. Much more musical....
    MitchCraig Bumgarner
  • Good article and excellent points @stuart
    Mitch
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • MitchMitch Paris, Jazz manouche's capital city!✭✭✭✭ Di Mauro, Lebreton, Castelluccia, Patenotte, Gallato
    Thanks for your comments! Stuart you're right of course, it's part of the job. I was more thinking about the way some people ask for unusual keys to players that may not be pros or super experienced. It depends on the context. I'm impressed by your learning of songs in four keys though!
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    oh man ... the hippie woman with a flute made out of a carrot, this part was hilarious
    MitchPompe_ojisan
    Tempo going from 180 to 280 in the same song is what kills me the most.
    How does this format 3 guitars at time work exactly? Like other guys are in the circle but they don't play or they step off completely?
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    edited March 2015 Posts: 6,153
    Buco wrote: »
    How does this format 3 guitars at time work exactly? Like other guys are in the circle but they don't play or they step off completely?

The other guys just sit and drink.....no one complains! :D
    Mitchkevingcox
  • GuitGuyGuitGuy Grand Junction, CO✭✭ AJL 503 X-O
    Should be required reading for ALL jams. Lots of useful information in here!
    Mitch
  • crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole
    Brilliant article - though I agree with Stuart about point 6. I believe that transposition is an essential part of technique - not saying I can do it every time but it's something I try to do. Re point 4. It's amazing how many people just get their heads down and play away neither looking not listening. We once had a guy who played through a song and then told us we were all playing the wrong chords when in fact he had been playing a different song completely. Regarding the maximum number of guitars we tried this but people ignored it so we ended up asking people to stop playing which didn't go down well. I would also add that if people come along expecting to play a tune not normally played within the jam session at least bring some chord sheets or be prepared to teach it but don't expect miracles - and don't try and busk along to "Body and Soul" 'cos unless you're Django, Birelli or Stochelo you are unlikely to "work it out as you go along"
    Mitch
    always learning
  • Now I remember why I avoid big jams....
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • Have never been able to do many gypsy jams due to lack of GJ guitarists, but in bluegrass if you have lots of people, we've always split off into small groups and then floated around.
    Mitch