DjangoBooks.com

Pick position for Wegen

Kevin FurnissKevin Furniss France✭✭ AJL 503 XO
in Gypsy Picking Posts: 85
My wegen gypsy Jazz pick arrived this morning.I like it a lot.

It appears to want to sit way down the thumb with the depression being right behind the joint - before I get some practice in, is this where it should go ?
I am going to get the gypsy picking book when I get to Paris but in the meantime......

Comments

• Best is where it's comfortable for you. Just don't have too much sticking out the bottom
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • Charles MeadowsCharles Meadows WV✭✭✭ ALD Original, Dupont MD50
    I assumed the depression faces up for the thumb. I rarely use mine now though after getting Djangojazz picks.
    I used Wegen with a dimple opposite of thumb for a while, seemed to give a stronger attack.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • I was never quite sure on my Wegen's. Glad I have shifted in another direction. I was always second guessing myself.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • Kevin FurnissKevin Furniss France✭✭ AJL 503 XO
    Django jazz picks look interesting - although I am going to try to resist going on a pick buying frenzy ......I guess when you are at the early stages of developing your technique picks are more important than when you become accomplished.
  • DragonPLDragonPL Maryland✭✭ Dupont MD 50-XL (Favino), Michael Dunn Stardust, Castelluccia Tears, Yunzhi gypsy jazz guitar, Gitane DG-320, DG-250M and DG-250
    edited March 2015 Posts: 172
    As long as one remembers different (more expensive for that matter) pics are not some "magic formula" that will make you play better, or even develop better, it all boils down to proper and good technique from the start, even if you're playing with a button.
    Different thickness picks just achieve different tone (usually thinner 1.4mm or so are louder and brighter).
    I favor Dunlop Delrin 500 2.0mm, it's perfect for GJ, fits just right in the hand, a lot of pros use it too, and they're about $4.00 a dozen- win,win !
  • ScoredogScoredog Santa Barbara, Ca✭✭✭✭
    I am sure a thread about picks can go many pages and I presume some already have. I am finding a beveled point has advantages, one does not get stuck as often and this helps particularly when playing rhythm. Some guys turn picks to the rounded part when playing rhythm. Other guys file the points...etc...etc
  • Charles MeadowsCharles Meadows WV✭✭✭ ALD Original, Dupont MD50
    I've used the Dunlop Delrin for years for mandolin (1.5mm). To mean the tone is much darker and quieter than with Wegen or Djangojazz for the GJ guitar. Anyone know if Gonzalo uses Dunlops or something similar? He has that darkish tone.
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    Last time I saw Gonzalo he was playing with Dunlop Gators as a lot of the "young Lions" do now