DjangoBooks.com

I was wondering how to set up my Nomade for amplification

cole7112cole7112 New
in Welcome Posts: 8
I was wondering if anyone had any suggestion on a good place to set up the pick-up on a Dupont Nomade I am using a K&K definitive Pick-up with pre amp. I have the pick-up set up at the top right by the low E string it won't fit underneath the bridge so i probably have to shave the bridge piece down. I am using a deluxe reverb amp would the pre-amp even be needed. The sound i am getting from the pick-up is pretty harsh and kind of piercing also would any one know how to adjust the Pre-amp EQ? Any suggestion is welcome

also I would love to stand up to play but i only have one guitar peg on the guitar and i'm not a big fan of tying to the head stock. Do they make something that can go around the bolt that bolts the neck on to the guitar that could be used to attach a strap?

pics below

Comments

• AppelAppel ✭✭✭
    The preamp stage of an amp like that is set up with a series of caps and resistors of particular values that create a kind of "tone window"; it'll be just the right size to let the middle frequencies through, but it might not let a lot of the lower and higher frequencies through. That sort of preamp is balanced to work well with a magnetic pickup - I think a guitar like yours with a Stimer-style magnetic pickup would just absolutely sound fantastic through your amp, and though it will have a mids-heavy tone not at all like your acoustic sound, the character of your playing on that guitar will come through, and sometimes that is all that matters.

Hopefully someone familiar with the K&K system you have will chime in to help you out. There might be a way to EQ it all to work, and it'll be interesting to see what those who know say about the preamp. Good luck!
  • ya-honzaya-honza Kuala Lumpur✭✭ Colins Petite Bouche
    It would likely sound better through an acoustic amp. I struggled with my internal piezo pickup for a while never being happy with its sound, now I really like the AT381b clip-on mic for less noisy venues and the Guzz for noisier venues, both through an external pre-amp and either straight into the PA or in conjunction with my AER. Takes a while to find out what works for you but experiment and you'll get there
  • ya-honzaya-honza Kuala Lumpur✭✭ Colins Petite Bouche
    For playing standing up, check pics of Stephane Wremble playing as I've seen him do this. Looks like you'd need to install a strap button at the neck heel.
  • AndrewUlleAndrewUlle Cleveland, OH✭✭✭ Cigano GJ-15
    I saw a Dupont that had a strap button attached to a small belt that snapped around the base of the headstock. The belt went under the strings on the front of the headstock and snapped in the back; there was a strap button on the rear-facing side of the strap.
  • I use the Definity with my Gitane and Dupont and am very satisfied with it. I suggest placing it under the treble end of bridge close to Mustache piece, with cable toward back. K&K suggests that the entire pickup be placed under treble end of bridge, parallel to it, where you would have to shave off some of the underside of bridge. I prefer not to mess with that!
    I also use a Baggs Para which allows for lots of EQ-ing.
    I don't play through my Pro Reverb but go right into PA.
    I also stand while playing but tie off at neck. I've never had a problem with it and actually have always done so with any acoustic I've played.
    PM me if you'd like to see some pics or if you wanna discuss it more.
  • AndrewUlleAndrewUlle Cleveland, OH✭✭✭ Cigano GJ-15
    check the belt-on strap button on this Dupont's headstock:
    https://reverb.com/item/442977-maurice-dupont-mc-30-1996-clear-nitro
    rgrice
    I used K&K Pure Maccaferri and placed the piezo contacts under the arch of the bridge rather than feet. If your arch is too low for the piezo contact, file the bridge down til it fits, and if it has too much space cut some wine cork to place it in there solidly.

You could use one of these gizmos for a strap?
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • StringswingerStringswinger Santa Cruz and San Francisco, CA✭✭✭✭ 1993 Dupont MD-20, Shelley Park Encore
    @Buco I think with the super thin tops of a good Gypsy guitar, one of those classical guitar straps could cause some damage. Seems like it could pull the top off of the braces or crack it. I would ask someone's opinion who would know for sure if this strap would work like Bob Holo? Bob? What do you think?
    "When the chord changes, you should change" Joe Pass
    Yeah good point, but then out guitars are incredibly light so there wouldn't be much weight that the strap needs to support.
    I don't know, I would certainly like to find out.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • Agree. Additionally those Mariachi straps don't hold the guitar if you let go of it! Willie may not ever let go Trigger but I'm not willing to trust myself.