DjangoBooks.com

The Secrets of Authentic Gypsy Jazz Rhythm

2»

Comments

• edited May 2015 Posts: 3,707
    It took me days of playing around with notation and feel in Sibelius to get a reasonable approximation of the Pompe on Sibelius 7 for playback.

IMO in Jazz, other than big band, the notation is interpreted not read per se.
    Passacaglia
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • spatzospatzo Virtuoso
    edited May 2015 Posts: 768
    Certainly it is not easy to write it "as is" but should we say the upstroke can be notated as a grace chord on first halfs of 1 and 3? (and counted 1and - 2 - 3and - 4)

This leads to my second question: is the upstroke chord sometimes shorter or longer than the following downstroke chord? (and by the way counted as the first third of a triplet followed by the remaining two thirds of the follower downstroke or vice-versa)

I hope you're not undecided now...

Best
  • AndrewUlleAndrewUlle Cleveland, OH✭✭✭ Cigano GJ-15
    According to Denis Chang's FB post, THIS is the way to play rhythm:

JazzaferriMichaelHorowitz
  • bluegrass with jazz chords ROFL :))
  • spatzo wrote: »
    Certainly it is not easy to write it "as is" but should we say the upstroke can be notated as a grace chord on first halfs of 1 and 3? (and counted 1and - 2 - 3and - 4)

This leads to my second question: is the upstroke chord sometimes shorter or longer than the following downstroke chord? (and by the way counted as the first third of a triplet followed by the remaining two thirds of the follower downstroke or vice-versa)

I hope you're not undecided now...

Best

First you say you do and then you don't ... then you way you will and then you wont ... your undecided now ... what are you going to do. dah dat dah dah dat dah dee dum

• SpaloSpalo England✭✭✭✭ Manouche Guitars "Modele Jazz Moreno" No.116, 1980's Saga Blueridge "Macaferri 500", Maton 1960's Semi, Fender Telecaster, Aria FA65 Archtop
    Just to change the subject a little: I was listening to The Hot Club's 'Appel Direct' and I noticed that someone (Joseph?) is performing an excellent very fast 'rolling strum fill', for want of a better description, on some of the chord changes behind Django's solo. I wondered if this would have been part of the arrangement or was it, as I think, just Joseph playing it as he felt it. It's not something I've heard on more modern recordings. Would the rhythm guitarists expressing themselves like this be frowned upon these days? Did Django refuse to speak to Joe after the recording??!!
    tomcunn
  • edited May 2015 Posts: 3,707
    Probably...lol....

if you listen to Django's rhythm playing with Rex Stewart, Barney Bigard and Billy Talylor on all star sessions....he does do a a little bit of pompe but his rhythm changes with and is a musical part of the tune.......real jazz comping....not just banging out 4 to a bar.
  • milan153milan153 New
    edited July 2015 Posts: 3
  • BonesBones Moderator
    edited June 2015 Posts: 3,320
    Oh man, Andrew, :-) That's the kind of mis-information that was and still is out there. Da-jeez....

Jazza, yeah pure Da-genious.
  • Bump ….well worth revisiting