DjangoBooks.com

Workout #1: "Black and Blue Bottom"

Comments

• Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    edited June 2015 Posts: 1,856
    One last clip... this is bars 5 to 8....

Hopefully these few clips will keep everyone busy for a few days while my wife and I go on a Baltic cruise... please talk among yourselves and I'll get back in this thread when internet access allows...

Will

PS I believe the fingering here is X4525x A7 and X3424X A dim...
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Wow, have fun Will!!! I'm so jealous!

We'll hold down the fort while ur gone.
  • spatzospatzo Virtuoso
    To Jazzaferri: Stéphane Grappelli in his memories said clearly that he wasn't influenced at all by Joe Venuti as he only heard his records years after he began to play himself violin, Grappelli's influences were three: Louis Armstrong, Bix Beiderbecke and Art Tatum. There is nothing in the way Venuti plays that can be found in Grappelli's improvisations.
  • Teddy DupontTeddy Dupont Deity
    spatzo wrote: »
    To Jazzaferri: Stéphane Grappelli in his memories said clearly that he wasn't influenced at all by Joe Venuti as he only heard his records years after he began to play himself violin, Grappelli's influences were three: Louis Armstrong, Bix Beiderbecke and Art Tatum. There is nothing in the way Venuti plays that can be found in Grappelli's improvisations.

Agree.

• Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    Hello from Copenhagen! Yes, it's just as wonderful as the song lyrics promise, especially for those of us who like to admire Nordic goddesses...
    Buco
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • spatzospatzo Virtuoso
    edited June 2015 Posts: 768
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/qda39ap737prfmo/Black & Blue Bottom.jpg

Second part after the interlude is the same in C major
  • JehuJehu New Zealand✭✭✭
    Right, I've got the intro more or less under control, but I'm going to come right out and say it: I have no freaking clue what he's up to in bars 1 and 2.

I shall keep at it!
  • edited June 2015 Posts: 3,707
    Thanks for correcting my misremembering @spatzo and @Teddy Dupont
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • spatzospatzo Virtuoso
    Lang intro is simply built on chromatic dominant 9th chords sequences :
    C9 C#9 D9 then D9 Eb9 E9 each one ending on the upper part of the chord fretted on the last four strings including the fifth of the chord.

After the first resolution on a G69 chord Lang plays normal 7th chords with the fifth on the root E7 F7 D7 Eb7 Db7 D7 then he modulates to the G69 chord with the upper and then lower parts of the D9 chord.

Chords are C9 => 3 X 2 3 3 X etc...
    End of sequence : D9 => X X 4 5 5 5

Second part 7th are : E7 => 7 X 6 7 5 X etc...
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Ok I squeezed in a little time to work on the intro and the first few measures. Let me know what you guys think.

https://www.soundslice.com/tabs/17112/black-and-blue-bottom-joe-venuti-eddie-lang-tab/

I think that this would make a great study along with this example of Django playing rhythm that was noted in another thread.

I'll try to work on that in SS also (see link) but I'm laying off playing (especially chords) since I'm having issues with my left hand so it will take some time.

https://www.soundslice.com/tabs/17164/django-reinhardt-rex-stewart-i-know-that-you-know-1939-april-5-swing-paris-tab/