DjangoBooks.com

Sebastien Giniaux lessons

dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
in Welcome Posts: 2,159
hi folks, sorry to spam! but the first half of sebastien giniaux's online lessons are now available at www.dc-musicschool.com

Vol 1 2 focus on the acoustic jazz side of Seb... Vol 3 4 focus on the eastern European music that he does. They're all available now, but only 1 and 2 have transcriptions at the moment. Transcriptions for vol 3 and 4 will come before August.

Almost 5 hours of instructions, over 150 transcribed examples, 23 etudes, and a bunch of balkan songs!

here are some clips for vol 1 and 2 (be sure to turn on subtitles if you don't understand French)

As always, thanks VERY VERY VERY much for the support over the years, i really appreciate it... Next lessons to be released, In The Style of Frank Vignola, then In The Style of Bireli Lagrene... and somewhere in between i'll be working on In The Style of Charlie Christian (featuring myself hehe)

BluesBop HarryKarlopickitjohn

Comments

• wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    Fantastic.. he makes it all look so easy. It's good to have the second camera view on the picking hand too, seb always seems to hold the pick fairly differently to the other Paris guys.

Also - lots of downstrokes there!
  • anthon_74anthon_74 Marin county, CA✭✭✭✭ Alta Mira M 01
    Can't wait to see this one !
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    thanks!

re: his right hand, he talks about it. It was actually just an accident. Since he picked up the guitar quite late in life but had lots of formal training in classical music and cello, he decided he would learn on his own and that was the technique that came naturally to him; he didn't make a conscious decision to pick that way. However, i think it gives a really beautiful tone, i've tried it myself but have trouble getting used to the position. The tone is really snappy and percussive. George Benson also angles his pick that way, and again it was never intentional!
  • I picked up volumes one and two yesterday. I don't understand French well, but the subtitles are fine. Seb communicates well and it is very clear that he is well prepared to speak and demonstrate each topic. Volume 1 is an insightful dialogue about technique. The portions on tone, interpretation, harmony, and improvisation exercises are what stuck with me and I will remind myself to go check out the tone section again and again as a reminder when I start to get lazy or my sound tends to get weak. Volume 2 is similar to Moignard V2, with licks. There is much more here than that and the concepts are well worth diving into. Perhaps this is bold, but I would suggest putting a lot of time into really learning, digesting, and exploring each topic if you want to sound like the modern french guys.
    The improvs on both are great. I'll purchase 3&4 when I get back from DiJ, but I'd suggest buying these. The cost is ridiculous for the amount of information you get back.
    thaks for all lessons..now i am waiting ROCKY GRESSET
  • JehuJehu New Zealand✭✭✭
    Seeing his right hand is a real eye-opener for me; I've never seen a GJer pick with the reverse pick angle. That's the way I angled the pick for my first several years of playing as a teenager (before it was 'taught' out of me). Last night I tried gypsy picking with a reverse angle and it immediately felt much more natural than the standard grip; it felt like coming home. I think I might stick with it for a while and see how it goes.

Anyone else use a reverse angle?

(And thanks, Denis! (And Seb!))
  • Micheal IrwinMicheal Irwin ✭✭
    Another great job Dennis! Look forward to everything else coming out (especially Birelli). Bravo!
  • ShemiShemi Cardiff✭✭✭
    His right hand makes me suspect he may be double jointed when I see that flexibilty in his thumb. Is that the case?
  • Franz MoralesFranz Morales Philippines✭✭
    I plan to get this lesson too. After watching the excerpt on rhythm changes, I've learned a lot. Can't wait to see what I can learn from the rest of the lessons!
  • JehuJehu New Zealand✭✭✭
    shemakimoo wrote: »
    His right hand makes me suspect he may be double jointed when I see that flexibilty in his thumb. Is that the case?

I can't speak for him obviously, but my thumb does the same thing and is not double-jointed... it is just the natural curvature. But good point, this pick angle is probably only practical with this particular peculiarity.