DjangoBooks.com

How popular is GJ in Europe?

woodamandwoodamand Portland, OR✭✭✭ 2015 JWC Favino replica
in Europe Posts: 227
I realize of course that GJ is a very small part of the music scene here in the US - where I think I read only 1-2% of people even listen to jazz at all, which is awful! - but is this genre any more poplar in Europe, or maybe a least France? It would be nice to think that somewhere people have a bit better taste than they do here. (Yeah, that is snooty but there you are.)

Comments

• spudspud paris, france✭✭✭✭
    Yep its really marginal, even in Paris.
  • PapsPierPapsPier ✭✭
    Gypsy jazz can be quite popular in France if you mean that there is several amateur bands in almost each city and people going to listen to bands in bars/restaurants or hiring bands for weddings. But most of the audience think of gypsy jazz just an ambiance music (they dont pay really attention to what they are listening, it is just cool to listen to this kind of music), the great gypsy musicians are not that famous in France (gypsy jazz is famous because it is sometimes mixed with french pop song: Thomas Dutronc or Sanseverino)
  • woodamandwoodamand Portland, OR✭✭✭ 2015 JWC Favino replica
    Boy have a played a lot of gigs where we were ambiance. Well, GJ is just like everything else musical that I like, far out of the mainstream. Don't get me started on how much I love playing my bass clarinet, and how little if anything most people know about the music you can produce with it!
  • I prefer "musical wallpaper."
    Buco
    Nice Jim!

But I did see several videos on YouTube where giants of GJ are playing in front of what seems to be 10,000 concert hall audience. Maybe this is rare but that'll never happen in US or Canada.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • Teddy DupontTeddy Dupont Deity
    Django's music and Gypsy Jazz are more popular in Europe than they used to be but they are still only niche genres.
  • crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole
    I don't know the exact numbers in the UK or Europe but I'm always amazed by the numbers that turn up for some things. And yet watching the mighty Angelo Debarre playing to a meagre audience of 40 odd people is galling.
    always learning