DjangoBooks.com

NYC community, jam sessions

in FAQ Posts: 1
Hello,
I am looking for people to play with in NYC. Also possibly looking for lessons. Is this the right forum for that? I apologize if it is not.

- Zack
Tagged:

Comments

• edited August 2015 Posts: 1,231
    Zach...there is a jam on Wednesdays at Razza from 8-10 in Jersey City (typically Stephane Wrembel and recently, Tim Clement) and on Thursdays at Fada in Brooklyn (Alex Simon). There are a few other jams, which you can find on Facebook, but I have not been to these. Hit me up and I'll point you to the NYC GJ facebook groups. There are a few people that run lead these jams who will teach. Stephane does for sure.
    Zachary Friedman
  • crothcroth ✭✭
    Zach, if your search is for a jam group at your level and looking for a teacher is a separate matter (ie. they don't have to be linked together), I strongly suggest that you try an ad in craigslist for people to jam with. You might be very surprised at how many people there are looking for playing partners, just like you.

I did just that in my area, outside of NYC, 3 years ago and I have a wonderful jam group, still going strong 3 years later. I managed to find a violinist, an accordionist, 2 other guitarists, a bass player, and a couple of clarinet players.

Regarding Fada and those club jams, my impression is that they generally draw a very high level of player, like Jim for example, who I had the pleasure of playing with a few years ago, and depending upon your level, you may or may not be comfortable with that. They play fast! ;-)
  • Stephane's jam is an all level jam, for sure, as I have regularly attended it and know that Stephane wants maximum participation. Even when he subs the jam out when he is out of town, players like Tim Clement ensure that this vibe is kept.
    I have not been to the Fada jam in years, since it is on the same night as a regular gig I have, but it certainly can be speedy at times from my past experiences with it. I would not call any of these jams "high level." The Keep on Wednesday late night is likely more of a player's jam at a higher level. I have not been there so I can not confirm.
    Carl gives good advice, nonetheless. We started a group a while ago that served this purpose and a slow jam group would likely be appreciated by some players. Guillaume Goussault and I used to run a monthly jam and would rent a rehearsal space for 2-3 hours. We had some players invite us to their homes, as well. This would fill a niche.