DjangoBooks.com

which of these two books to buy

Comments

• Kevin FurnissKevin Furniss France✭✭ AJL 503 XO
    The basics may be fairly quick to learn but ,there are Rhythm players and people who play Rhythm.
    JazzaferriBuco
  • crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole
    terrassier wrote: »
    The basics may be fairly quick to learn but ,there are Rhythm players and people who play Rhythm.
    Absolutely.

Jazzaferri
    always learning
  • woodamandwoodamand Portland, OR✭✭✭ 2015 JWC Favino replica
    So from my visit to Michaels house, I know that I don't have the pompe down yet - no surprise, since I have only been messing with it for a couple of weeks. I also ended up buying Gypsy Picking, so that along with the video is how I am going to start. Thanks again for all the helpful suggestions!
    Talking about voice leading, check out this superb demonstration of chord voicing by Tcha Limberger during this year's Django in June

pickitjohn
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • woodamandwoodamand Portland, OR✭✭✭ 2015 JWC Favino replica
    Beautiful! And that is a great sounding guitar - have any idea what it is, other than extremely expensive?
    Probably some Dupont model but I'm not sure.
    I know he used to play MD-50.
  • crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole
    I had the pleasure of hearing and playing with Tcha at Grappeli Djngo camp in Holland a couple of weeks ago and he definitely has a total grip of voicings. I certainly found it useful and stimulating but - and this is in no way a crticism - I'm not sure it would be helpful to someone beginning "la pompe" although it certainly encouraged me to look at my own voicings and search for new ones. A rhythm player with fewer voicings but rock solid tempo and a crisp la pompe will always be prefrerrable to one with fancy voicings but lacking in the ability to keep a steady tempo with minimal distraction to the soloist and fellow players.
    always learning
  • Too true. @crookedpinky

voice leading is harmonically very strong and will either really reinforce what the soloist is doing or REALLY reinforce that the soloist and the rhythm player are on diifferent planets.
    Buco
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
    Jazzaferri wrote: »
    ...or REALLY reinforce that the soloist and the rhythm player are on diifferent planets.
    Sometimes I feel like that at a jazz show but then I turn around and people around me seem enchanted. Then I say to myself "it's all jazz man..."
    Jim Kaznosky
  • Buco wrote: »
    Jazzaferri wrote: »
    ...or REALLY reinforce that the soloist and the rhythm player are on diifferent planets.
    Sometimes I feel like that at a jazz show but then I turn around and people around me seem enchanted. Then I say to myself "it's all jazz man..."
    Hah...I've used "jazz" as an excuse when I hit a clam and get a crosseyed look from the band.

Buco