DjangoBooks.com

Hey Andreas!

CalebFSUCalebFSU Tallahassee, FLModerator Made in USA Dell Arte Hommage
edited March 2006 in Gypsy Fire Posts: 557
Hey man maybe this belongs in the technique forum, but I figure you have dealt with this stuff so here goes. What do you do when you improvise over a chord a that lasts for 8 bars? e.x. Cannonball Adderley's "The Chant" where you have 8 bars of F7, what are your ideas of playing over that single chord for that long? Aside from the normal Blues, Mixolydian type stuff do you start to outline substitute harmonies or what? Any ideas you have would be great. Maybe this isn't so GJ oriented but like I said you have dealt with Modern Jazz so i figured you may be able to help.
Thanks man!
Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard.

Comments

• AndreasObergAndreasOberg Stockholm,SwedenModerator
    Hi Caleb!
    If the F7-chord resolves into Bb7, you can use a B7 arpeggio or a B7 lydian b7 scale that makes a nice chromatic half step approach into the Bb7 chord.

Another useful scale is the diminished half/wholestep scale starting from F.
    F, Gb, Ab, A, B, C, D,Eb etc

In that scale you'll find the major triads F, Ab, B and D. You'll also find the minor triads F, Ab, B & D. Linking these together in different ways is great for creating modern jazz lines.

You can also try some out-sounding minor pentatonics like:
    Ab or Eb.

Best Regards
    Andreas
  • CalebFSUCalebFSU Tallahassee, FLModerator Made in USA Dell Arte Hommage
    Andreas, thanks man that is what I was thinking. I just wanted to ask and see what you had to say about it. I really want to try the out pentatonics. That sounds like a cool idea. Thanks man.
    Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard.