DjangoBooks.com

Is this chord labeled correctly?

AndrewUlleAndrewUlle Cleveland, OH✭✭✭ Cigano GJ-15
They show the same chord shape on the 7th fret as an E-7 (and that sounds right); how could moving it UP a fret make it go DOWN a half-step?

D-7%20RN_zps5dxemasd.jpg
Tagged:

Comments

• Andrew, the fretted notes in the diagram are from the bass up C Ab Eb Ab

Most usually this would be considered a rootless F m 7 although one could also consider it a Ab maj triad with the 3rd in the bass.

The only note in the chord diagram in a Dm7 is the C which is the 7th. The chord names is a misprint likely. Should be Fm7
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • AndrewUlleAndrewUlle Cleveland, OH✭✭✭ Cigano GJ-15
    @Stuart - that's what I thought, it should be 5th fret. If Robin Nolan reissues the gig book as he promises, he should fix this.
  • A rootless one though lol. One of my go to minor 7 chords.
  • Love the sound of that shape say like the Em7 in Lulu Swing when moves to A13b9. A sound of beauty!
  • AndrewUlleAndrewUlle Cleveland, OH✭✭✭ Cigano GJ-15
    @rgrice - yes, this chord is part of a turnaround: Em7, A13b9, Dm7, G13b9. Song is "Exactly Like You." I figured it must be a misprint of the fret number (should've been 5, not 8).
  • Love it in that one as well, @Andrew Ulle. We do it in G to accomodate vocals. Just saw that in the book! Learned it before I had book so never noticed!
    And Coquette, Dream of You and bunch more I can't think of.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    edited October 2015 Posts: 1,855
    I would've automatically called that chord Ab major.

Thanks, guys, for putting me onto the fact that it can also be a rootless Fm7 chord!

Just one more reason why I love this website and all the smart people who post here...

And speaking of chords, here's something I was pondering today as I walked the dog...

At what point in jazz (and/or pop music) did it become standard practice to add the sixth to major chords?

Same question with the major seventh...?

Same question with the minor seventh...?

I've listened to a lot of ragtime and ODJB-type jazz but I don't hear these sounds...
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • The late 20's early 30's 6/9 chords were thought the new hip for major chords. Maj and min 7 probably the same time. Note that in the original St Louis Blues the major and minor chords are just listed as maj and minor, switching to he dominant to indicate the I IV AND V I changes