DjangoBooks.com

Keeping your guitars in shape!

Comments

• asuraasura Los Angeles Cigano GJ-10, Gitane D500
    Hey everyone,

Thanks for all the informative posts! It's all very helpful

Another question-
    If the truss rod is on the bottom of the neck (as opposed to near the headstock), does turning clockwise still tighten?

(Righty tighty lefty loosey regardless of whether the truss rod is on the bottom or top portion of the neck?)

• AndrewUlleAndrewUlle Cleveland, OH✭✭✭ Cigano GJ-15
    As soon as the heat starts coming on (steam radiators in my 85-year-old house), I turn on the 14 gallon humidifier that's within 10 feet of all of our guitars. It's set at 50% - seems to really help keep the action constant. Before I got it, I needed to shim the bridge about 1 mm in the winter - now it's more stable.
  • JehuJehu New Zealand✭✭✭
    asura wrote: »
    Another question-
    If the truss rod is on the bottom of the neck (as opposed to near the headstock), does turning clockwise still tighten?

(Righty tighty lefty loosey regardless of whether the truss rod is on the bottom or top portion of the neck?)

Yeppers.

asura
  • T1mothyT1mothy ✭✭ Furch petite bouche
    My Furch babe needs fresh frets because the old ones have grooves that make it buzz quite a bit already. I dont have the bucks for it now tho. Feel bad about myself
    Are you sure they can't be leveled and re-crowned?
    There should be enough material left to do a feet dress at least once in not more.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
    Hey everyone,

So I've been getting a lot of buzz lately, especially on the low E string...

There is really bad buzz from the 1st fret to the 6th fret and then the buzz disappears from the 7th to 10th fret and then gets really bad again from 11th fret to 14th fret.

Is this indication of back bowing on my neck? Can I fix it by adjusting the truss rod?

Been trying to learn more about maintaining my guitar so any help is much appreciated! Thanks :-)
  • Look down the neck from the bridge. Focus on the tops of the frets

Your eye will tell you the story. Maybe a tweak with the truss Rod will help but it sounds like it is not a fair curve.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
    Thanks @Jazzaferri

I'll check it out right now :-)
    Looks like alot of bumpiness is happening where the neck and body are joining up.

And it does look slightly back bowed overall. It never really buzzed this bad until about 2 weeks ago...
  • Need to take it to a luthier and he can tell you how much work is involved and what needs to be done.

Maybe a freak dressing will cure it or it could require more extensive work.

Raising the action could provide a temporary solution
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed