DjangoBooks.com

Straight Ahead Jazz vs. GJ on the Banjo

Comments

• As my friend Jimmy Heffernan would tell me " just because you CAN play something....doesn't mean you SHOULD".

He was talking about performing, not noodling or practicing or even jamming.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • NylonDaveNylonDave Glasgow✭✭✭ Perez Valbuena Flamenca 1991

Jazzaferri
    'As my friend Jimmy Heffernan would tell me " just because you CAN play something....doesn't mean you SHOULD".

He was talking about performing, not noodling or practicing or even jamming. '

How was it that he came to know what it was that he could or could not do if not through performing or practicing or noodling or jamming ?

Really, HOW ?

D.

• We were taking about some tunes that can be played on Dobro, but they sound like a weird novelty......they are fun to noodle practice and such but he felt they were mostly inappropriate to play to an audience.

Take 5 and a Paul Meader tune Bolero Blue were the ones that I played that Were my contribution. Jimmy can play most anything on it being a vastly superior player. There were lots he could do but wouldn't.
    NylonDave
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
    Thanks for the context. I think I understand your point better now.
  • pickitjohnpickitjohn South Texas Corpus, San Antonio, AustinVirtuoso Patenotte 260
    @MrLoganLang
    So as the title suggests I'm exploring playing GJ on the five string banjo, with finger picks. This term at my university I'm in a jazz theory & aural training class. The theory we're learning is basically how every chord has a corresponding scale of which you can freely improvise over (this course is followed by two other classes focused on improvisation). Do GJ players think this way while improvising?

I want to start working on a foundation for jazz, I'm just curious if there are any major differences when it comes to improvisation in these genres.

Thanks!

Seems this guy Thinks it can be done...

Steve Brauer

Django Reinhardt's Gypsy Jazz Guitar Solos Arranged For 5-String Banjo

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1682220966?keywords=DJANGO REINHARDT'S GYPSY JAZZ GUITAR SOLOS ARRANGED FOR 5-STRING BANJO&qid=1449529060&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

:)>-
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    ACT NOW and get a book of Django solos arranged for bagpipes ABSOLUTELY FREE!
    pickitjohn
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    True, he started out with a little six string banjo when he was a little boy, but I was talking about the four string banjo he is shown with in this picture.

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?47502-Happy-Birthday-Django-Reinhardt/page2

I don't think that's Django.

Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • BernieBernie France Gitane DG 300 J.Jorgensen
    Any music can be played on any instrument : improvising is the art of playing notes that you hear the moment you hear them...Takes a long time practicing, but all these theoretical things are just ways to get organized and save time at the most.
    Jazz is the art of improvising, so is Gipsy Jazz...
    Playing gipsy jazz on 5 strings banjo ? Why not ? Only question : will it sound like gipsy jazz ?
    If you play the right repertoire and learn a few of the most recognizable tricks currently used, it might work (or should work) I believe...
    NylonDave

Bernie wrote: »

Any music can be played on any instrument :

improvising is the art of playing notes that you hear the moment you hear them...

Takes a long time practicing,

all these theoretical things are just ways to get organized and save time

Jazz is the art of improvising, so is Gipsy Jazz...

Playing gipsy jazz on 5 strings banjo ? Why not ?

Only question : will it sound like gipsy jazz ?

If you play the right repertoire and learn a few of the most recognizable tricks currently used, it might work (or should work)

YES
    YES
    YES
    YES
    YES
    DUNNO
    DUNNO, still might be cool
    YES, and given time it might be ace, and regardless you will have enjoyed yourself and learned a lot.

Nice post.

D.