DjangoBooks.com

Louis Vola - "Django Blue"

CuimeanCuimean Los AngelesProdigy
in History Posts: 271
Just stumbled on this cool track from the version of the QHCF that Vola put together when he was in Argentina, with Hernan Oliva on violin and Henri Salvador on guitar:

Comments

• LorenzoLeJazzHotLorenzoLeJazzHot Naples, Italy✭✭ JWC Prima Jazz
    basically it's "bricktop". But I really didn't know that Henri Salvador was such a brillant guitar player! I knew him as a singer, and here in Italy was pretty famous as comedian:

• NylonDaveNylonDave Glasgow✭✭✭ Perez Valbuena Flamenca 1991
    Cool,here's my favourite musical comedian.

pickitjohn
  • Jeff MooreJeff Moore Minneapolis✭✭✭✭ Lebreton 2
    edited December 2015 Posts: 476
    This thread is evidence that pre-50's humans were very talented yet certifiably insane.

Thanks. I had my suspicions
    Buco
    "We need a radical redistribution of wealth and power" MLK
  • pickitjohnpickitjohn South Texas Corpus, San Antonio, AustinVirtuoso Patenotte 260
    @NylonDave
    Loved Chico, what a talent.
    I'll be sharing that clip.
    edited December 2015 Posts: 462
    You don't think he is just insulting classical music John ?
    As a classical musician I could very easily have taken that position, I am sure many did at the time. But it would seem silly to do so now especially since his lampooning clearly contains a lot of genuine affection. And after all he is just clowning around. It isn't like he is afraid to look ridiculous whilst poking fun.

D.
  • pickitjohnpickitjohn South Texas Corpus, San Antonio, AustinVirtuoso Patenotte 260
    @NylonDave
    You don't think he is just insulting classical music John ?

No, never crossed MY MIND

Thought I was watching the Marx's Brothers, and man it be fun to see him play up close.

:)>-
    I remember the first time I saw Chico play and thought, 'why didn't I know about this' ?

It was a real wake up call because I realised that I was, and still am, very very far from having the ability to structure a solo that well with such command of classical form and contemporary vernacular. Never mind having the talent to sell it so beautifully and with such terrific humour.

Now I try and share him at every possible opportunity.

D.