DjangoBooks.com

Comments

• Wolfpak acoustic gigbag
  • jonpowljonpowl Hercules, CA✭✭✭ Dupont MD-100, Altamira M01F
    I've heard this one works, but not a perfect fit: Gator GL-Dread-12 Lightweight Dreadnought Guitar Case
    Around $89.
  • Russell LetsonRussell Letson Prodigy
    Not a gig bag, but quite light and much better protection: a foam case. A Travelite TL-50 dreadnought model ought to fit a GJ guitar. (I'm very partial to foam cases with wood reinforcement, along the lines of the now-vanished ProTek trapezoidal models.) For reasonably-priced gig bags, I'd look at SKB. I have an older model that seems to be the rough equivalent of what they now call a "soft case"--a nylon-over-foam design with good outside storage pockets.
  • Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    edited December 2015 Posts: 1,252
    I looked into gig bags a while back, the foam light-cases do seem more protective, but the Levys CCG120 looked like a decent soft bag - runs about $200 but you can find it on sale for $150 if you look around. In the end I didn't buy one (so I've never tried to fit a GJ guitar in one) because I decided to stay with hard cases for better crush protection. All it takes is some clueless schmuck to throw a door open into your guitar and the hard case redeems its extra weight and then some ;-) But... I've had Levy's bags before, which is why I looked at them in the first place. Assuming they haven't gone completely downhill over the years, I know the bags they were making the last time I checked, were very nice. My short list for highend but affordable gigbags consisted of 'Reunion Blues', 'Levys' & newcomer 'Mono'

The Levys had more beef than any of them on the bottom and for neck support. That's why I liked it. http://www.levys-gurte.de/taschen/gigbags-taschen/levys-ccg120-in-schwarz.html
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
  • edited December 2015 Posts: 4,741
    I cross posted this one in a resurrected Favino gig bag thread...
    This is what both me and my bandmate use, I have a Selmer copy, he has a vintage Favino. He was so happy to find a gig bag for his guitar after I brought mine to practice and his guitar fit. Apparently gig bags for Favino aren't an easy find.
    It's a pretty decent gig bag, well padded, more than sufficient for around town, I wouldn't travel with it unless I was road tripping and the price is good. Had it for about a year and it's holding up well. Some people complain about front pocket not big enough for sheet music, I use iReal books so not an issue and few times I had sheet music with me I threw it inside with a guitar. Another complaint is that back straps make a guitar sit up too high on your back, I'm 6'3" and I just have to duck very slightly when I go through the doorways.
    http://www.amazon.com/Road-Runner-Roadster-Acoustic-Guitar/dp/B001PPMN9K

PS I got mine at the local guitar center
    pickitjohn
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    I modified an SKB dreadnaught soft case and it's great! I've used it for traveling as well as gigs.
    http://www.djangobooks.com/forum/discussion/comment/78679/#Comment_78679

http://www.stewmac.com/How-To/Online_Resources/Learn_About_Building_Instruments_and_Kits/Easy_affordable_way_to_make_your_own_custom-fit_guitar_case.html
    I used the instructions on that page, but didn't use any additional glue, the original stuff was still sticky enough.
    It was very easy, I put my guitar in the case and separated the plush lining a little bit around it and just filled the space with styrofoam pieces until snug, then sealed it back up and done!
    If you use more glue don't use a runny kind because it will make the lining hard... A friend made that mistake...
  • anthon_74anthon_74 Marin county, CA✭✭✭✭ Alta Mira M 01
    Pro-tech makes a good gig bag for $50. I carry both of my Manouche guitars with it. It's not quite travel safe, but I actually pack it in a suitcase and bring it to Django in June because it's lightweight, easy to carry, but tough enough to protect the guitar.
  • Thanks so much for all the suggestions! I'm checking them out now!
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    I love my Mono M80 Dreadnought case, although the price seems to have gone up. Excellent fit for a Selmac, very thick padding, and lots of storage.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • All good ideas. I think I've settled on a Levy's as @Bob Holo suggested. I liked it anyway but can easily also get one at cost! If there's a cheaper one tho I'm going for it. I really don't need much protection just the ability to strap it and carry with small amp. Lightening the load!
    Thanks. Any other ideas welcome. Will be my Christmas present.