DjangoBooks.com

Matelo Ferret discography?

TonyReesTonyRees New South Wales, Australia
in History Posts: 140
In constructing the wikipedia page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matelo_Ferret I am also listing as much as I can find of Matelo's recorded output (including reissues) based on my own somewhat limited resources and further internet sleuthing. I am aware it will contain mistakes and omissions at this time, so am wondering whether there are any already published sources to draw on (e.g. French articles I have not seen) and/or whether this forum's contributors would be able to assist in any way (Scot?). Since WP has a policy of "no original research" this forum would be a useful place to present any original findings which the article on wikipedia could then legitimately cite.

At this time in the WP article I am presently going down to the session level only, not listing individual tracks, though they could of course be listed here. The current listing as at just now is appended below for your consideration.

Regards - Tony

On 78 RPM discs:

1938 Gus Viseur's Music (with Gus Viseur, "Matlo", Baro & Challain Ferret and Maurice Speilleux, bass) - sessions rec. Paris, September 28 and October 20, 1938
1938 Albert Ferreri & Le Trio Ferret ("Matlo", Baro & Challain Ferret and Maurice Speilleux, bass) - session rec. Paris, October 20, 1938
1939 Le Trio Ferret (Baro, Matelo & Challain Ferret and Maurice Speilleux, bass) - session rec. Paris, March 2, 1939
1940 Gus Viseur et son Orchestre (personnel as per Gus Viseur's Music, above) - session rec. Paris, August 9, 1940
1941 Sarane Ferret et le Swing Quintette de Paris (with Baro & Matelo Ferret + others) - sessions rec. Paris, May and June, 1941
1942 Sarane Ferret et le Swing Quintette de Paris with Georges Effrosse (with Baro & Matelo Ferret + others) - sessions rec. Paris, ?? and October, 1942
1942 André Ekyan et son Orchestre (with Matelo Ferret + others) - session rec. Paris, July 22, 1942
1943 Matelo Ferret: Jean Ferret et son Sixtette - session rec. Paris, December 15, 1943
On EP & LP (plus CD reissues):

1951 Jean "Matelot" Ferret: Diner en Musique (EP) [?="Votre Dîner en Musique" (Columbia 33 FSX 105), below]
1954 as "Pierre-Jean Ferret et son Orchestre" on Various Artists: "Votre Dîner en Musique" Columbia 33 FSX 105 (4 tracks only) album details
195x as "Pierre Ferret et son Orchestre" on Various Artists: "Super Festival Dancing No. 14" Columbia 33 FSX 108 (2 tracks only) ?= "Surprise-Partie No. 14" FLD 121 album details
195x as "Pierre Ferret et son Orchestre" on Various Artists: "Votre Thé en Musique" Columbia 33 FSX 108 (3 tracks only) album details
1955 Matelo Ferret et son Quartette: Musique Pour Deux no. 14 (EP) album cover
1960 (?1959, ?1961) Matelo Ferret: Jean "Matelot" Ferret et sa Guitare Joue les Inédits de Django Reinhardt (EP) Vogue (F) EPL 7740 with Jacques Montagne and Sarane Ferret, guitars album details
1961 Matelo Ferret: Jean "Matelot" Ferret et sa Guitare Joue les Inédits de Django Reinhardt [same title, different album] (EP) Vogue (F) EPL 7829 album cover
1965 Matelo Ferret (as Matelo Ferré): Marta (EP) with Michel Terrioux, vibraphone; Laro Sollero, guitar; Michel Gaudry, double bass; Andy Arpino, drums album details
1965 on Pierre "Baro" Ferret: Swing Valses d'Hier et d'Aujourd'hui - Pierre "Baro" Ferret, guitar with Jacques Montagne and Matelo Ferret, guitars + others album details
1967 on Various artists: Manouche Partie (with Jo Privat and others) - rec. 1960 and 1966 album details
1970 on Various artists: La Nuit des Gitans à l'Olympia de Paris - 1970
1979 Matelo Ferret (as Pierre "Matlow" Ferret): Tziganskaïa (2xLP) album cover
1988 Matelo Ferret: Tziganskaïa and Other Rare Recordings (re-released 2006 as Tziganskaïa - The Django Reinhardt Waltzes) Hot Club Records HCRCD 46 album details
1989 Sarane & Matelo Ferret: Tribute To Django INA FC 124 (live recordings, 1967 in Paris and 1973 at Samois) album details
2002 on Various Artists: Gipsy Jazz School - Django's Legacy (2xCD, compilation, 2 tracks only) Iris Music 3001 845 album details
20?? on Various Artists: Jazz Archives No. 144: Jazz Gitan 1939/1943 (compilation, includes 1930s and 1940s recordings as above) EPM Musique 159472 album details
2007 on Various Artists: Gypsy Jazz (4xCD) Properbox 128 (compilation, includes 1930s and 1940s recordings as above) album details
2009 Les Frères Ferret (Baro, Sarane, Matelo): Les Gitans De Paris 1938-1956 (3xCD, compilation) Frémeaux & Associés FA 5247 album details
2011 on Various Artists: Le Coffret Jazz Manouche (5xCD, compilation, 1 track only) Wagram 3243392 album details
2014 as Matelo Ferré: Rare Recordings (compilation) Hot Club Records HCR 352 album details

Comments

• TonyReesTonyRees New South Wales, Australia
    Anyone know what this item is? "Chants de Corse (Mono Version) [feat. Matelot Ferré, Jean-Marie Pallen]" apparently by "Marfisa", originally released 1961:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00MEFELPO
    Here's another potential addition (I cannot find a date at this time): JO PRIVAT with MATELOT FERRET, SARANE FERRE JR: Dansez sur les Plus Belles Chansons du Monde (2xLP), label is stated as Discodis, see http://www.groovecollector.com/mp/jo-privat-matelot-ferret-sarane-ferre-jr-dansez-sur-les-plus-belles-chansons-du-monde/r/115867888/ (an older post from Michael Dregni gives the catalogue number as Disc AZ FL 85.016/017)
    And this one from 1985 or maybe that is a reissue:
    JO PRIVAT (MATELOT FERRET, SAUSSOIS) - Deux Guitares Et Un Violon, see http://www.cdandlp.com/en/jo-privat-matelot-ferret-saussois/deux-guitares-et-un-violon/lp/r115867850/
  • scotscot Virtuoso
    edited December 2015 Posts: 653
    All this goes to show why it'll be about impossible to compile a discography of Matelot - he recorded so much. "Deux Guitares..." was a Jo Privat LP with Patrick Saussois and Matelot Ferret. Marfisa was a popular Corsican singer. Matelot made many recordings with Corsicans like Robert Ripa and Antoine Ciosi. Likewise with Parisien singers like Eugenie Grandet, Edith Piaf, Germaine Sablon, Mouloudji and Charles Trenet. I know for certain that he also recorded with Algerian singers like Ahmed Grihasa because he was one of the few guitarists in Paris who could play Arabic music. He also had a large repertoire of Balkan and Jewish music. He probably some commercial recordings in this style too but I don't know about it. I've only heard private recordings. Throughout the 60s and 70s he was a popular studio guitarist in Paris because of his professionalism and versatility.

The double-disc by Jo Privat? I don't have this one but I'll bet it's got some great music on it.

Matelot and Sarrane were professional guitarists and both could play in nearly any style. Sarrane was especially popular with latin bands. They traveled - I have a photograph of Sarrane with a famous "character" named Jo Attia taken in the latter's nightclub in Abidjan, Cote'd'Ivoire.

There is a full concert recorded on video in Clermont-Ferrand in 1986 but I've never seen a good video which is too bad because he was really playing that day.

A guitarist friend in Limousin who did some tours with Matelot in the 80s had this to say about him:

"You can’t imagine anyone more affable, more attentive than Matelo. I don’t really know how to define him. All of the words I can find are below what he was. I have a lot of admiration for him, and a lot of affection.
    He was exceptional. Rare. It’s rare to meet people like him. He had a presence. Matelo was a very small fellow. Not at all tall. And when he would take his big guitar, you had the sense that he was miniscule behind it. But as soon as he started playing, his stature would change. You’d see something - majestic..."

One of the attached files is of Marfisa with Matelot and J-M Pallen, the other is live with FAM and Alain Dubreuil in 1986.

• scotscot Virtuoso
    Here's a few more
  • scotscot Virtuoso
    edited December 2015 Posts: 653
    Note that there are no cliches here. He really had his own way of playing. It's really a shame that isn't a good copy of the video to be found.
    Thanks Scot, all fascinating and as you say, not well documented at this time. Maybe I will rename the wikipedia section "partial discography" and let it evolve... Plus, random offerings for sale on the internet have at least made it a bit easier to discover a few of the byways that were harder to come across 35 years ago when I first got interested in this stuff and it was mostly sale bins in obscure record shops...
    I was a bit confused about the Jo Privat "Deux Guitares et un Violon" release (not seen) because according to the Django Station page translated here, Matelo is not on it:
    https://translate.google.com.au/translate?hl=en&sl=fr&u=http://www.djangostation.com/Deux-guitares-et-un-violon,260.html&prev=search

Any clarification appreciated...
  • scotscot Virtuoso
    My memory isn't what it used to be - "Deux guitares et une Violon" is actually Patrick Saussois and Didier Roussin on guitars.
    Thanks, that fits with the Django Station page (not sure why Matelo's names is mentioned in the first link I posted, maybe as composer or just an error).