DjangoBooks.com

djangojazz.nl picks (the owners page)

edited December 2015 in Welcome Posts: 8
hello guitarists how are you doing and how can i help you in case for questions about my picks !!???
Appel

Comments

• for all people that bought my picks ,,thank you if in case there is a qustion please contact me per direct ,,email [email protected]
    Appel
    I wanna get a one or a few pretty soon.
    I'd go to Caravan Guitars here in Chicago but they don't have anything thinner than 3mm and I'd like them in 2mm.

However when I browse Caravan website most of the picks are listed as D1, D16 etc, so it's hard to cross reference them against your website where you have names for each model. (I'm not sure if it's the same with the site here)
    For example I would like Romino which looks similar to D5 but I don't know for sure. Been wanting to try the Django model in 2mm too.

There's that guy on YouTube, plays Martin, and he is all over Djangojazz picks now and before that his favorite was a Blue Chip which is what I favor so he made me itch to try some more. I have one Djangojazz, not sure which model but it's too click loud for me although I get more volume with it than the Blue Chip and the tone is good but that click drives me nuts. So I want to try black tortoise and/or new art deco material.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • AppelAppel ✭✭✭
    edited December 2015 Posts: 78
    Hello, fine person behind DjangoJazz Picks! I am unable to log in very often ... but I did want to leave a message for you and say thank you for your fine work. I have just two of your picks, a beautiful green one, 3mm I think, and a faux tortoiseshell that is a bit thicker. They are two of my three best sounding picks - to me, only a beautiful horn pick I have sounds equally as good. I practice with other picks but when I want to play something special, I use one of my DjangoJazz picks. I do use them every couple of days, and they are showing very little wear - they should last a long time. And funnily enough, even though they are just simple flat picks, I never drop them. The material is great, as are the cuts and the bevels.

Please keep making them! I'll try to acquire a couple more sometime in the new year. All the best!

- A.
    Buco
  • hello again welcome guys ,well we stay in bussines as we plan to be a good pick maker ,, we now make some new picks for djangonooks in all sizes available we have 2 mm in stock to i dont know if caravan have them now but we do infact we even have 1,5 soon
  • Buco wrote: »
    I wanna get a one or a few pretty soon.
    I'd go to Caravan Guitars here in Chicago but they don't have anything thinner than 3mm and I'd like them in 2mm.

However when I browse Caravan website most of the picks are listed as D1, D16 etc, so it's hard to cross reference them against your website where you have names for each model. (I'm not sure if it's the same with the site here)
    For example I would like Romino which looks similar to D5 but I don't know for sure. Been wanting to try the Django model in 2mm too.

There's that guy on YouTube, plays Martin, and he is all over Djangojazz picks now and before that his favorite was a Blue Chip which is what I favor so he made me itch to try some more. I have one Djangojazz, not sure which model but it's too click loud for me although I get more volume with it than the Blue Chip and the tone is good but that click drives me nuts. So I want to try black tortoise and/or new art deco material.

• ChiefbigeasyChiefbigeasy New Orleans, LA✭✭✭ Dupont MDC 50; The Loar LH6, AJL Silent Guitar
    Do you have a website to provide more detailed info re: size and weight of each pick. Michael does carry a number of your items, but I'd like a little more detail. Also, any ideas on when you may offer 1.5 mm picks or add the 2mm size to other models. Finally, I note you offer "ivory" picks. I am to assume this is re-purposed ivory or synthetic ivory?

Thanks for your help.
  • well micheal dos not order 2 mm but we do have it so i may tell him we have that in black tortoise best sold nr at djangojazz and we do carry since a year december 2014 white new ivory copy ,,loud and very ivory like in how it wears and feels after a wile ,,

i have a web site www.djangojazz.nl please check out
  • now for 2016 we have black ivory as well in 1,5 mm in all shapes ,,, :))
  • edited May 2016 Posts: 4,735
    Got the assortment of Manouche picks the other day from Jokko.
    Actually it's the ones from his new avatar picture.
    I asked for his Romino pick model with extra rounded tip.
    They look like 2mm thick, I prefer 1.5 but 2mm is OK.
    Anything over that gives me too much click and then that's all I hear.

They match my previous favorite Blue Chip in every way, which still may be a bit quieter but it's splitting hairs at this point because Jokko's picks are quiet too. So this is as much about the thickness as it is about the material because I had Jokko's pick in 3 or 3.5mm which had way too much click for me.

The sound varies from bright (white bone) to dark (black tortoise) with ivory and lava stone falling somewhere in between.
    I tend to gravitate to ivory one the most but use the others as well.
    They all glide over the strings without any resistance that I can feel. The sound is full, I like what I hear from my guitar, they're loud.
    And for me, for the past couple of years it's usually been I'll try a new pick and after a while compare it to the Blue Chip and go "right, that's the ticket" and stick with it.

They all have a good feel.
    Lava stone maybe a bit more sticky than others, but I played a show on Sat and rotated through all off them and neither was slipping in my hand.

I'll have to wait and see how they wear.
    Hopefully they match the Blue Chip here as well.
    On those I don't see much wear after a couple of years of use, never had to buff or do any maintenance on them.

One thing that could still use an improvement is the site (the new version is much better than the old one though), namely good shots of each pick. Originally the Romino pick I received was still to pointy for me, even though what the website picture shows is very round. But Jokko is the champion example of customer support, so he fixed that and then some.

If this all sounds like an endorsement, it is.
    Because I'd rather support a guy like Jokko than Dunlop.
    Dunlop sideways and what not is fine but I always heard an extra ounce of sound coming from my guitar when I use the artisan pick like these. The drawback is that I spent a good chunk buying and going through the pricey picks I didn't care for. But it's still, even after a couple of hundred $, the cheapest way to cure GAS for me.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • Nice review. I gravitate towards anything with a rounded edge and have two of the Rominos- I have a 3mm and a 5mm, both dark tortoise. Right now, I alternate between the 3mm and the side of a Dunlop on a gig setting and reserve the 5mm for practice at home. I've had both for a year and there is little wear.