DjangoBooks.com

How do you amplify your maccaferri guitar?

13»

Comments

• MandobartMandobart ✭✭ Mandolin, Octave Mandolin, Mandocello, Fiddles
    edited March 2016 Posts: 100
    I put a thin blob of putty between the head and the soundboard, just like K&K recommends you use the double sided tape. It does not block the vibrations from the soundboard to the head, at least not enough to prevent the pu from working. Some say this slight damping helps eliminate some of the harshness of a piezo. I have no proof this is true. I do know I like the amplified sound of all my instruments with JJB pu's.
    Buco
  • maxmax SwedenNew
    This is what I have found to be the best solution for me.
    It´s not perfect, but one can play louder than with condenser or ribbons and it sounds way better than any bigtone.
    http://ehrlund.se/products/eap-system
    If you already have a good preamp you can just buy the mic.
    But the eap-preamp sounds really good for the money.
    expect to spend some time with trying out placement on the top, it makes a huge difference.
    That looks good but ouch $600. The only US dealer doesn't offer mic only.

By the way I use Myers mic, http://myerspickups.com/thefeatherseries.html
    I like it, it's very good and when used with Baggs Para DI I get good volume before feedback.
    I also use Krivo pickups, two of them combined as a humbucker, when I itch for that sound or the place I play in is feedback problematic.

I don't look for an exact copy of my acoustic sound when I amplify, I listen to the amplified sound and decide if I like or not.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • MatteoMatteo Sweden✭✭✭✭ JWC Modele Jazz, Lottonen "Selmer-Maccaferri"
    edited March 2016 Posts: 393
    @max Interesting! How do you attach the contact mic to the guitar? With double-sided tape, or with some sticky paste (what we in Sweden call "häftmassa" ;-) )? Which works best?
  • maxmax SwedenNew
    Yes, häftmassa. You roll three small "balls" and place each one in the corners of the triangle and just stick it to the top of the guitar.

A good starting point is just behind the lower (trebleside) moustache, but it´s well worth trying out places all over the top.

Just for info - I have never tried ischell , schatten or schertler, but the eap works well enough for me.

As for the prize, it´s about the same as a schertler, at least in Sweden.
    (and I guess, Denmark , where OP´s from)
  • MatteoMatteo Sweden✭✭✭✭ JWC Modele Jazz, Lottonen "Selmer-Maccaferri"
    Thanks! I have one of those mics, which I bought about ten years ago. The prize was, as you say, about the same as for others models. I'm not sure about the preamp though, I think I have another one. I've lent it to a friend so I can't check now. But I will definitely try this mic again.
  • MarkAMarkA Vermont✭✭✭ Holo Epiphany, Gibson L-5
    I have liked the Ischell best, also had good results with a Krivo Djangobucker, no feedback problems with either.
  • mntnmikemntnmike Boston, MA Cigano
    DeArmond for a time, '60s mostly, made small contact-pickups for Ukes and Mandolins etc. Here's a photo of one in box. I've attached a photo of it tucked under the strings behind the bridge of my Cigano, and I play it through that little 60s Silvertone tube amp. Pickup was $50 on EBay, amp was about $250 on Reverb. Both items I believe could have been bought at the same time in the Sears catalog! If I wanted the normal mic'ed sound, and when I know I have a nice big chunk of time to sound-check, I'll use the AT pro-70.