DjangoBooks.com

Can humidity affect a guitar's color?

I bought an 11 year old Dell Arte Hommage in late November. Recently it looks like the area near and under the strings is becoming lighter than the outsides (or maybe the outsides got darker). The top is book matched. It's been a challenge to keep it up between 40-50% humidity, it's gone up and down.

Is there a way to attach a picture to this post?

Comments

• pickitjohnpickitjohn South Texas Corpus, San Antonio, AustinVirtuoso Patenotte 260
    @therealguyfi
    You can add pictures when in comment mode click on the FILE FOLDER...

Pick your file PICTURE from appropriate folder or camera roll.

Easy give it a go.

:)>-
  • therealguyfitherealguyfi Milwaukee, WINew Barault
    I hope you can see what I'm talking about from this pic.
  • BonesBones Moderator
    edited February 2016 Posts: 3,319
    Whoa, that's interesting. Seems like maybe a stripe in the wood that wasn't as affected by UV/aging. Looks symmetrical about the center seam so that's what makes me think it is in the wood. I've seen striped spruce before. Although, it looks like when they joined the top they shifted the pieces longitudinally (along the axis of the seam) for some reason since the stripe has a warble in it that is further to the tail on the treble side than it is on the bass side???
  • therealguyfitherealguyfi Milwaukee, WINew Barault
    The weird thing is, and I could be wrong, but it seems like it was all the same color until very recently.
  • It looks to me like a book matched set ....the lighter wood is the heartwood. As to why it would change colour well......has it been in the sun?
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • BonesBones Moderator
    edited February 2016 Posts: 3,319
    Yeah I love it when tops do that. I think it adds character and interest. Check out this electric I built years ago. The top is very stripey (also the back) and this really came out over the years due to UV. The UV ages the wood (and the lacquer) even though the guitar is stored in a case just due to being taken out and played. That's completely normal and gives instruments that nice aged look.

People like 'figure' in the back, why not in the top?
    Bucot-birdalton
  • altonalton Keene, NH✭✭ 2000 Dell'Arte Long Scale Anouman, Gadjo Modele Francais, Gitane DG-330 John Jorgensen Tuxedo
    Beautiful guitar! @Bones
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Hey thanks Alton. Yeah I really love 'figured' wood. Here's the back

• BonesBones Moderator
    Or check out the 'bearclaw' top on Robin Nolan's guitar