DjangoBooks.com

Gonzalo and Wrembel's pompe

124»

Comments

• BonesBones Moderator
    edited March 2016 Posts: 3,319
    As far as the 2 and 4, I'd guess that NO ONE completely mutes them, except maybe beginners. I guess maybe some recordings could make it sound that way. Watch/listen to all the great players. They all grip and release (damp) with the left hand on EVERY beat. The amount and quality of tone that you get on each beat is a function of both right and left hand technique. It's all personal preference. Work on it until you get the sound that you like and then go be happy about it. There is no one 'right' way. The biggest things are have good time (#1), have good tone, make it swing, pick inversions that 'fit', don't clash with the other players, err on the side of keeping it low key (you are playing back up not lead). Do all that and the rest will fall into place (easier said than done). There's a lot to it and a lot of nuance. I'd say the biggest mistake people make about rhythm is assume it is easy and not really work at it.
    BucoaltonJim Kaznoskyguitarua
  • edited March 2016 Posts: 3,707
    I do on a few tunes. Usually fast swing ones. I let 1&3 ring and mute 2/4

With the upstroke before it sounds just like the hi hat shuffle (triplet swing) rhythm. Da Daaaa....Da. Da...Daaaa.....Da
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Oh sure NP for effect occasionally, I just meant as a general thing.
  • Yes just one of many
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • guitaruaguitarua New Holo
    dennis wrote: »
    i wrote a very in depth article on all the different styles of rhythm here:

http://denischang.com/index.php/2015/08/11/the-secrets-of-authentic-gypsy-jazz-rhythm/

it doesn't have the audio clips, for that u'll have to click on the link to the original article that appeared here on djangobooks

i also talk about the historical evolution of rhythm playing.

Hey Denis, all the audio files don't come up for me (even on the Djangobooks post). Is there another way to view the article?
  • BonesBones Moderator
    edited March 2016 Posts: 3,319
    Side note- I just rediscovered these duets (lead and bass only) so kinda fun to 'sit in' on rhythm.

Watch it on YouTube and you'll find some others in the Patrus series.
    AndrewUlle
  • AndrewUlleAndrewUlle Cleveland, OH✭✭✭ Cigano GJ-15
    that was fun!