DjangoBooks.com

Boulevard of Broken Dreams-Kim Hoorweg and the Robin Nolan Trio now available on iTunes

bohemewarblerbohemewarbler St. Louis, MO✭✭✭✭ Jordan Wencek No.26, Altamira M01D-12 fret
edited March 2016 in CD, DVD, and Concert Reviews Posts: 243
I just would like to draw your attention to this wonderful album Boulevard of Broken Dreams with Kim Hoorweg and the Robin Nolan Trio that is now available on iTunes. The only thing I’d change is the sequence of songs. I just don’t think they segue too well. Once that is fixed, you should enjoy the album immensely.

There is some great collaboration going on between Gypsy Jazz players and female vocalists. Here are some others that you should check out if you haven’t already:

The Thomas Baggerman Trio’s collaboration with Eva Scholten (a.k.a. Eva Sur Seine).
Their collaboration EP Smiling Django is available on iTunes, but my favorite EP of theirs, Eva Sur Seine, currently isn’t. I got this EP when they were at Samois last summer. Hopefully it will eventually be available on iTunes.

Adrien Moignard's (with Michael Valeanu and Sam Anning) collaboration with Cyrille Aimeé for the album Let’s Get Lost.
They’ve recently been touring in the U.S., and I was lucky enough to see them perform recently when they came to St. Louis.

Clément Reboul's (et al) collaboration and Sara Longo (a.k.a. Sara French Quintet),
I could not find their CD Amanda Mia on iTunes. I saw them also at Samois and got their CD through Sara’s email.

I personally think these collaborations are a great step toward expanding the Gypsy Jazz audience in a way that showcases the versatility and elasticity of this music. I would like to see these female vocalists' names become as recognizable as the guitarists who collaborate with them. I know my wife and daughters prefer the more accessibility these vocalists add to the GJ mix.

Unfortunately these recordings are not easily accessible (which is true for GJ in general), and these talented vocalists are all from the EU. Thus, for us non-Europeans, to see them perform, you pretty much have to get yourself to Europe, but a trip well worth taking.

I posted this video on another thread that many of you have probably already seen, but it's so beautiful it's worth posting again here.
DaveycBuco

Comments

• crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole
    I've heard it before but it still gives me a chill when I hear it.
    always learning