DjangoBooks.com

Buying guitars from Europe

2»

Comments

• rafapakrafapak ✭✭
    Wim Glenn wrote: »
    Second the recommendation to book a cheap flight to Europe and do it in person (Paris, in particular). There are always some great deals at guitare village.

You need to be able to try a lot of instruments on the same day, when you're in the same mood, and in the same room, to really find one that chooses you

i have never been in Paris before in my life and know that French people don't like speaking languge other than French but I wonder if those guys in guitare village speak a little of English in case I want to fly to Paris and buy guitar in guitare village?

• One thing to take into consideration, is VAT in the EU. All new and not certain about used from a dealer but suspect do.

15 -20% depending on country, which is likely out of date rates

If the export the guitar no VAT. Same for private sale used.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    edited March 2016 Posts: 1,457
    On the contrary many Parisians, especially the younger generations, love to speak English. Though they often don't like the English (i.e. the terrible drunks, chavs, and idiots that come over from England for some cheap wine and sunshine), they are great consumers American music and film and seem to think it's cool to speak English.

If you go outside of Paris, the English language level does degrade, but it's mostly worse for the older generations. Generally, young people are still speaking English at a level that's easy enough to converse - though they often phrase things awkwardly, and the accent can be as thick as a hearty Béchamel sauce.

At Guitare Village in Domont you can ask to speak with Olivier in the shop, I think he's the guy who knows the most about gypsy guitars there, and his English is passable. Also ask to see him play, you will be blown away! He's a lefty but plays a mean gypsy jazz on a right-handed guitar, upside-down - chords, la pompe, leads and all at quite a high level. It's really something to see and can breaks your brain trying to follow it.
  • rafapakrafapak ✭✭
    thanks for replies
  • AndrewUlleAndrewUlle Cleveland, OH✭✭✭ Cigano GJ-15
    yes - thanks for all the input! I wish I could make the trip to Samois - maybe in the future...