DjangoBooks.com

"Djalamichto"

2»

Comments

• scotscot Virtuoso
    I believe the original recording by Matelot was done in 1960, on one of a pair of records he made for Vogue of tunes written by Django but never recorded by him. I have an original piece of sheet music for this tune published by Editions Carrousel/Caramel in Paris dated 1960. Six of the eight tunes recorded were Django's compositions, the other two were credited to "Alferay" whoever that might have been.

I have never heard Schnuckenack's version but it's bound to be something special. Patrick Saussois' excellent version is on the CD that came with the book of transcriptions noted above. He was the best choice available for this because few guitarists are his equal when it comes to playing this type of tune. Matelot's version is typical and right for it's time, full of charm and discretion with great 2nd guitar by (I think) Nene Mailles. As for it's true origin, my best guess is that it dates from the late 40s - around the same time as "Pour Que Ma Vie Demeure". Anyway, it's a nice tune and not especially difficult to play. And that's what I know...
  • Joli GadjoJoli Gadjo Cardiff, UK✭✭✭✭ Derecho, Bumgarner - VSOP, AJL
    Thanks a lot guys !
    - JG
  • ElliotElliot Madison, WisconsinNew
    It is available here in the Django Undiscovered book along with the first four tunes off the Matelot CD.
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    never noticed this thread, and it looks no one knew what djala michto meant

djala michto, means "doing good" (yes i know it's improper english)

when you ask how someone is doing, you ask them :"Djala"? it's like "how are you doing?"
  • KlezmorimKlezmorim South Carolina, USANew
    Or as we "recovering Noo Yawkuhs" say: "Hi ya DOO-in?" Not necessarily "grammatically correct," but who ya gonna argue with?

8)