DjangoBooks.com

Good pickups for Selmer style guitars?

2»

Comments

• MandobartMandobart ✭✭ Mandolin, Octave Mandolin, Mandocello, Fiddles
    I use JJB PPS 200 (with a switchback style 1/4" jack) in my Altamira M20D. I also use the same pu in my Morris F4 mando, my mandola, two octave mandolins, two mandocellos, 3 different fiddles, a banjo and an Ovation 12 string. Installation is easy and the sound is good with the right DI or preamp. More feedback resistant than a mic.

I've used several different preamps - the K&K pure works well but the Redeye is my favorite. When I play thru my Carvin AG300 or other good acoustic amp designed with a high impedance input a DI/preamp is not needed.
  • BonesBones Moderator
    edited May 2016 Posts: 3,319
    Paul, are you looking for a more acoustic tone or do you not mind using a mag pickup? As usual hard to amp at high levels and not get feedback on any acoustic guitar.
  • MatteoMatteo Sweden✭✭✭✭ JWC Modele Jazz, Lottonen "Selmer-Maccaferri"
    edited May 2016 Posts: 393
    I think I've found the solution (for my guitar). Has anyone here tried the Yves Guen S 51? Anyone tried it with a D-hole short scale Maccaferri type of guitar?

S51 Original
  • paul.provostypaul.provosty New Orleans, LANew Altamira M01
    It's such a tough decision because my intention is to retain the authentic acoustic sound of my guitar. But, I want to be able to have the ability to amplify it to fit any circumstance. What I am starting to realize is that if I wish to "cut" through the band I will most likey be sacrificing this sacred acoustic "tone."

Installing a pickup on my guitar sounds like a silly idea at this point as well. I'm starting to see why Django went electric in his later years...This instrument, in a club setting, can be burried by a band very easily!!

Definitely no clear cut "answer" to this problem. But, I am digging the videos in this subject because it is helping me be more selective in my inevitable choice!