DjangoBooks.com

Django and Louis Armstrong

Comments

• Teddy DupontTeddy Dupont Deity
    Spatzo has done some digging. Armstrong played at Carnegie Hall in February, 1947 and the scapbook “Profoundly Blue” on Edmond Hall states on page 212 that “End of January, Armstrong and Hall, the two men from New-Orleans got together for rehearsals at Café Society”. Edmund Hall and Django played at Cafe Society Uptown at the same time, so I think that pretty much confirms USA 1947.

• BonesBones Moderator
    Did he play an electric at Carnegie?
    He played electric throughout the Ellington tour and at the Cafe Society Uptown gig. Here he is at Carnegie Hall :-
  • MatteoMatteo Sweden✭✭✭✭ JWC Modele Jazz, Lottonen "Selmer-Maccaferri"
    edited May 2016 Posts: 393
    He travelled light, just two or three pairs of trousers, no guitar. By looking att some more photos it might be possible to recreate his whole suitcase! We also know that he got a pair of flowery boxershorts, inspired by the members of the Ellington orchestra. Any more shopping for hip clothes in the USA?

Was it an american electric guitar he used at the Cafe Society gig? If it was, did he ever use the Selmer that was brougth to him from France by Delaunay (if I remember right)? I seem to remember reading somewhere that it was damaged in the transport, but it could have been repaired.
    He used the same Gibson throughout his time in America including the Cafe Society gig (see photo with Paul Whiteman). He did jam on other guitars during his stay though.

There are no indications that he ever used the damaged Selmer and the stories about what happen to it vary. It is most likely that it was repaired but Django just gave it away to someone.
  • MatteoMatteo Sweden✭✭✭✭ JWC Modele Jazz, Lottonen "Selmer-Maccaferri"
    Thanks! I realised that I didn't know whether he ever used that Selmer or not.
  • sadowsadow ✭✭ Altamira M30 Antique
    Les Paul had a Selmer that he said was given to him by Django. Could be that's what happened to it. They met during that Ellington tour.
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Teddy, yeah I love that sound he was getting at the Carnegie concert. He was so modern and it still sounds fresh. I like (snark) how the commentator was saying that he got a poor review??? With the benefit of 20/20 hindsight I think we can agree that reviewer didn't know shite. Like the guy said he could play that today and it would still sound great!
    He received a lot of good reviews during the Ellington tour but some of the most influencial critics like Leonard Feather were very lukewarm or even negative. Feather compared him unfavourably with some really quite ordinary American guitarists. 8-}