DjangoBooks.com

L'atelier Charonne Closing

Micheal IrwinMicheal Irwin ✭✭
in Europe Posts: 49
July 10 is the last night for this club in Paris. I was there a year ago and met Sebastien Giniaux between his sets. Sad to see this. Rudolph Raffalli is there tonight with many others.

Comments

• A GentA Gent ✭✭
    Sad news.
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    Very sad, indeed. Spent some wonderful evenings there listening to Angelo Debarre, Costel Nitescu, Samy Daussat, Benoit Convert, and many others. it was a wonderful venue, world class gypsy jazz every night. A great loss.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • tomcunntomcunn ✭✭✭
    to you parisians out there - since this place seemed so active a place i assume there is another venue(s) that will take up the slack. is that yet clear?
  • PapsPierPapsPier ✭✭
    The other one who host regularly gypsy jazz of that level is Les Petits Joueurs but there are some big differences between the two venues: one is in the center of the Paris, the other is in the suburbs. Atelier Charonne was quite "upclass", Les Petits Joueurs is "old school", more relax.
    We ll see what will come next..
  • spudspud paris, france✭✭✭✭
    PapsPier wrote: »
    The other one who host regularly gypsy jazz of that level is Les Petits Joueurs but there are some big differences between the two venues: one is in the center of the Paris, the other is in the suburbs. Atelier Charonne was quite "upclass", Les Petits Joueurs is "old school", more relax.
    We ll see what will come next..
    Petits jouers is in Paris- its the 19th arrondisement. but its not exclusively gypsy jazz.
    atelier charonne was a bit "difficult"- the layout of the place meant that it was hard to see the stage unless you were right in front. when it first opened it was fantastic because i got to see lots of great players (just near my house ;) ) but as it got more popular it became very crowded and full of people who just talked loudly. shame it has closed though.
  • PapsPierPapsPier ✭✭
    Yes sorry by suburbs I didnt mean outside Paris, but one must admit that it is not conveniently located (quite far from the subway)...
    I totally share your views about Atelier Charonne! I didnt enjoy going there as much as in the beginning but it is still sad...