DjangoBooks.com

cluttered sound - bassist complaining

2»

Comments

• bbwood_98bbwood_98 Brooklyn, NyProdigy Vladimir music! Les Effes. . Its the best!
    also,
    Keep in mind that if you are not really locked in rhythmically - the music will sound busy. I spend a lot of time making sure the bassist and I are feeling the beat in the same place all the time, especially because I insist they mostly play in 4 four my group (jazz is 4 against 6, 2 against 6 has no rhythmic tension, and thus don't swing). Spend a few minutes clapping together; first all four beats, then twos, then on the ones, then alternating - all in time at a medium tempo. Then ask each other how it felt. It will reveal any issues in timing that you may differ about!
    I'd do the same with the uke player.
    adding the soloists is not a bad idea either!
    Cheers and good luck.
    B.
    Ted Woelke
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Yeah really good point bb. I was assuming that everyone was locked in but if not then that is the first order of business. If people are pushing or dragging....
    Ted Woelke
  • bbwood_98bbwood_98 Brooklyn, NyProdigy Vladimir music! Les Effes. . Its the best!
    Bones,
    Exactly! even if people are not feeling things the same way . . .It can be more of an issue; and It looks like the original poster is trying to get at a more intricate and complex style then just straight le pompe at medium tempi (not that that is easy, and not that we are all not trying to do that . . . ;)
    Ted Woelke
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    edited August 2016 Posts: 1,854

I've been watching and waiting for somebody else to make this comment, but nobody has.

Um, how can I say this politely?

Well, okay, here goes...

I might be complaining a bit about clutter, too, if I had to play in a rhythm section with a ukulele...

Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • BonesBones Moderator
    True that. Maybe that is actually at the heart of the issue. If everyone is locked in it shouldn't be that big of a deal either way other than personal preference or if people are stepping on the soloist.

First, get everyone locked into the groove.

Second, get the sound you want. Try starting with less then add in???
    Ted Woelke
  • swing68swing68 Poznan, Poland✭✭✭ Manouche Modele Orchestre, JWC Catania Swing
    edited August 2016 Posts: 121
    An issue with the mix, perhaps (sorry, didn't see whether you are playing in amplified or non-amplified context)?

If you've got a lot of low-end on the guitar it could mess with the range the bass is operating in; otherwise, as others have said, a good dry pompe shouldn't really be troubling the bass player's patch unduly.

We once had the reverse issue when the bassist came without his amp and plugged the (piezo-equipped) bass directly into the desk - a horribly indistinct, everywhere kind of sound that drowned out other instruments and took no end of EQ'ing to get back to the kind of thing you actually wanted to hear!
    The war on Am7 and Cmaj7 begins here ...