DjangoBooks.com

For Sale Dupont MDC-50 SOLD!!!!

Comments

• StringswingerStringswinger Santa Cruz and San Francisco, CA✭✭✭✭ 1993 Dupont MD-20, Shelley Park Encore
    Price is $2300 with local pickup (San Francisco Bay area. I can meet in San Francisco or Santa Cruz).
    "When the chord changes, you should change" Joe Pass
  • AndrewUlleAndrewUlle Cleveland, OH✭✭✭ Cigano GJ-15
    The DuPont looks like a beautiful guitar and sounds like a steal at that price! Good luck on your sale.
    Stringswinger
  • StringswingerStringswinger Santa Cruz and San Francisco, CA✭✭✭✭ 1993 Dupont MD-20, Shelley Park Encore
    SOLD!!! To a very smart buyer....A truly great guitar and a great deal.
    ScoredogJim Kaznosky
  • everetteverett san francisco✭✭✭
    who bought it? great guitar..
    A longtime member of this forum bought it. I will let him identify himself if he wants to.
  • ChiefbigeasyChiefbigeasy New Orleans, LA✭✭✭ Dupont MDC 50; The Loar LH6, AJL Silent Guitar
    I bought the guitar. I have been missing the sound of a grand bouche guitar since I sold my Altamira. This looked like a sweet deal. Looking forward to picking it up on Monday.
    StringswingerBuco
    I'm glad it ended up in good hands.
    This must've been one of the best deals on DJ ever.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
    edited September 2016 Posts: 465
    Everett gave me a great deal on this guitar and I passed the deal on to Chiefbigeasy. IMO, that is what we are supposed to do for each other in an online music community like this one.

My Gypsy jazz gigs are way down and having two Duponts seemed like a waste. I hope the D hole spends more time out of the case than it did with me the last year or so. My fingers are crossed that it gets there safely on Monday.
    pickitjohnBuco
  • ChiefbigeasyChiefbigeasy New Orleans, LA✭✭✭ Dupont MDC 50; The Loar LH6, AJL Silent Guitar
    Guitar arrived intact all due to the great packing job! Professional and done with care in all respects. FedEx did their job too, so all is well.

So, for all of you who've recieved an instrument from another part of the counrtry, any tips on setup procedure and timeline? Guitar came from a relatively dry climate to decidedly more wet one here in New Orleans. Right now, I'm letting it stay relatively slack-stringed and will look to restring Tuesday night. Too soon? Maybe wait a day.

Also, sure to stir up more controversy, any favorite string set ups for this particular guitar? Marc sent me a set of Argie 10's--his favorite.

Anyway, looking forward to working hard to live up to the potential of this instrument.

• Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    The guitar will probably be a little uncomfortable for a while. Guitars tend to sound a little muted while they're adjusting if the change is significant, but Just keep it in the case when you're not playing it -- that will help slow down the adjustment and make it sound better through the adjustment period. Also, don't do any setup adjustments for at least a month or two. Thin soft wood swells more quickly than thick hard wood, so the top will adjust more quickly than the neck. Let everything adjust before you try to dial in the setup. Sometimes people will think a guitar is unstable and moving both directions, but really what's happening is that the soundboard moves first, then the neck moves later. So, in the case of going from dry to humid, as the soundboard adjusts, it swells a little and the soundboard arch increases a little and the action goes up. But then, the fretboard swells and the neck backbows a little (if the trussrod is a compression rod which keeps the back of the neck from expanding), so the action goes down a little. People think: "Oh my God, the guitar rose, then dropped - it's all over the place - it's unstable... but really, it was just that different parts of the guitar adjusted at different speeds based on their mass and hygroscopy which is perfectly natural - happens all the time - and probably won't even be significant enough to warrant setup work unless you're very particular about setup, because the SF Bay area is not all that dry, and guitars get less hygroscopic as they age, so you're probably not talking about a huge adjustment. If you want to be really careful, avoid taking it outside at night for a while. Humidity typically is higher at night than during the day. I lived down south for a while - it can get mind mindbogglingly humid at night IIRC.
    Stringswingert-birdJazzaferriMichael BauerBillDaCostaWilliams
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.