DjangoBooks.com

To shim or not to shim

1235»

Comments

• JSantaJSanta NY✭✭✭ Dupont, Gaffiero, AJL

I also have some ebony veneers that Craig gave to me a few years back (.5mm and 1mm) and they have been perfect.

• edited July 2022 Posts: 5

I checked their site but I do not see an Ebony veneer. They have a dyed black American Linden. BTW are most gluing the shims and if so what type of glue? CA seems like it would be a good solution as the shims could be easily removed with acetone.

• pdgpdg ✭✭

Hmm. They do have Indian rosewood veneer, which probably is better anyway. Don't glue it, just cut to fit (slightly oversize) and put the bridge on top.

BillDaCostaWilliams
  • edited July 2022 Posts: 5

Update: so I got some black fiber material from a friend. This is the stuff used for purfling/trim made of cellulose. I was thinking it would be too spongy but it's not at all and makes a great shim material IMO. The sheets are .5mm thick and I needed a thickness of three or 1.5mm (I laminated three pieces together to make it easier to fit) to get the action to a point where the notes really sing no matter how hard you play. Before raising the action (which was about 2.35mm on the low E and about 1.75mm on the high. The guitar (a Stringphonic Advanced) just wasn't living up to its potential I felt. Notes on E and B strings were just kind of "choking" out when you would play hard. Now with the action at just slightly over 3mm low E and slightly over 2.4mm high, the dynamic range of this fine guitar is unleased. Much better volume especially on the E and B strings and those notes really pop. Intonation is fine. I know that people seem to chase low action but on these guitars you really need to give them room to vibrate. Just my two cents.

BillDaCostaWilliamsBucomac63000