DjangoBooks.com

Advice needed on a Summerfield Maccaferri guitar!

fourowlsfourowls Brisbane, Queensland, AustraliaNew Petrarca Grande Bouche
Hi to the wonderful GJ community!!!
Just need some very quick advice about a potential purchase on what is described as a Maccaferri/Summerfield Guitar (here in Australia). I know the history of these Japanese guitars that were produced in 2 waves in Japan. This one advertised here (ebay.com.au/itm/252573501393?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT[/url])
I have attached a few images if the link doesn't work! I am dubious and perhaps a new Asian made copy might be better until I can get a better quality one (I have had Gitane, but like the Altamiras..).

Regards
Andrew Hill (Brisbane, Australia).

Comments

• AndrewUlleAndrewUlle Cleveland, OH✭✭✭ Cigano GJ-15
  • fourowlsfourowls Brisbane, Queensland, AustraliaNew Petrarca Grande Bouche
    edited October 2016 Posts: 72

Okay thanks kindly. I guess the logo seems very different and unique and I was wondering about its authenticity more so! Appreciate the quick response on that one!
  • ChrisMartinChrisMartin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Di Mauro x2, Petrarca, Genovesi, Burns, Kremona Zornitsa & Paul Beuscher resonator.
    For what it is worth I bought one of those CSL models a long time ago when I lived in England. It was the 'D Hole' version and it had the Summerfield label with the Maccaferri signature (I really don't remember if that was hand written or printed) but it was basically a piece of junk. The neck was quite wide, more like a classical, it was heavy and not particularly well made. I think it may have had some loose bracing too. The tone was non-existent, although some of that may have been my fault as I knew less about strings back then. I later bought a Japanese made Saga in the mid '90s, before they started making Gitanes. That was much better made, lighter, better finished, easier to play and more responsive. I can't be sure how good the tone really was because I have learned a lot in the subsequent twenty years, but I do remember it was far better than the CSL in all respects.
    For what it is worth I bought one of those CSL models a long time ago when I lived in England. It was the 'D Hole' version and it had the Summerfield label with the Maccaferri signature (I really don't remember if that was hand written or printed) but it was basically a piece of junk. The neck was quite wide, more like a classical, it was heavy and not particularly well made. I think it may have had some loose bracing too. The tone was non-existent, although some of that may have been my fault as I knew less about strings back then. I later bought a Japanese made Saga in the mid '90s, before they started making Gitanes. That was much better made, lighter, better finished, easier to play and more responsive. I can't be sure how good the tone really was because I have learned a lot in the subsequent twenty years, but I do remember it was far better than the CSL in all respects.

Hi Chris
    I had heard that the earlier models by Summerfield/Maccaferri were not great, and that the second wave in the 1980s (made by Saga I think?) were much better. The one advertised is a later model but the logo on the headstock made me wonder as I can't find reference to it anywhere....interesting looking guitar but a bit well worn though!
  • ChrisMartinChrisMartin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Di Mauro x2, Petrarca, Genovesi, Burns, Kremona Zornitsa & Paul Beuscher resonator.
    You may be right, but I certainly would not buy it without trying it first. If it plays well and sounds good then you may think it is worth a grand.
    You may be right, but I certainly would not buy it without trying it first. If it plays well and sounds good then you may think it is worth a grand.

Well I will let this one go too as I can't get down to NSW (your neck of the woods?) and dubious to start with! This is not even mentioning a Dell'arte Pigalle in Tassy....sigh! Perhaps I should buy new and know what I am getting!! Australia doesn't have much in the way of GJ guitars!!
    fourowls wrote: »

Well I will let this one go too as I can't get down to NSW (your neck of the woods?) and dubious to start with! This is not even mentioning a Dell'arte Pigalle in Tassy....sigh! Perhaps I should buy new and know what I am getting!! Australia doesn't have much in the way of GJ guitars!!

Hey Chris
    One more question, what would you recommend as a good GJ guitar if I can spend up to the $1700 ($2K max)?? A brand new higher end Altamira from Michael set up properly, a second hand Gitane or a new Gitane (e.g. D500 for
  • AndrewUlleAndrewUlle Cleveland, OH✭✭✭ Cigano GJ-15
    edited October 2016 Posts: 541
    I'm selling my Dell Arte DG-H1 asking $900 - check out the classifieds, and lots of pictures listed on Reverb.com
    I'm selling my Dell Arte DG-H1 asking $900 - check out the classifieds, and lots of pictures listed on Reverb.com

Hi Andrew!
    I live in Australia so posting it here would suck for you, but if you will we can discuss some options! Regards Andy from Oz!
    stuart wrote: »
    I can't comment on the authenticity - although I've no particular reason to doubt it, it certainly looks like a vintage GJ guitar.

I've played a few of the CSL/Ibanez guitars, they do vary in quality but most were pretty good, some spectacular. Certainly better than Gitanes.

The value of these instruments seems to have gone up recently - they were quite easy to get hold of relatively cheaply at one point but now I regularly see them at about £1500 (in the UK). I guess they have historic value given the connection with MM and also they are becoming vintage guitars now - some of them are older than the Selmers were when CSL started making them. Could be a good investment.

Howdy!
    Okay interesting answer and I will keep mulling on it as I, like many other GJ guitarists I suspect, find older guitars fascinating! Thanks for taking time to get back to me and I am digging up all I can on these second wave Summerfield guitars made up to 1983 or so....hopefully still playable after all this time