DjangoBooks.com

Errata?

hverlindhverlind Ghent - BelgiumNew
edited November 2005 in Gypsy Picking Posts: 2
In Example 2.2 (Ascending Chromatic Run), the c (8th fret) is missing in the transcription but I'm quite sure it's being played on the CD (track #18 ). Also, to my (untrained) ears, there appear to be two extra notes on the CD, one of them probably being the c missing in the transcription. I couldn't identify what the other extra note is as both examples seem to end on the b (19th fret). In the book, the example ends with a quarter-note on the fourth beat of the fifth measure, while on the CD there appear to be all eight-notes ending on the first beat of the sixth measure. Could anyone please clarify? Maybe I'm just hearing things the wrong way?

Also, I'm a bit puzzled by the "four-chorus long solo" description of the Minor Blues Etude, while there appear to be five choruses?

Finally, this being my first post, I would like to mention that I'm really enjoying this book, I consider it my bible during these first steps of my gypsy jazz adventure. Many thanks to the author, this book has already been worth every penny.

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    hverlind wrote:
    In Example 2.2 (Ascending Chromatic Run), the c (8th fret) is missing in the transcription but I'm quite sure it's being played on the CD (track #18 ). Also, to my (untrained) ears, there appear to be two extra notes on the CD, one of them probably being the c missing in the transcription. I couldn't identify what the other extra note is as both examples seem to end on the b (19th fret).

Yes, you're correct. However, keep in mind that in most cases Django used chromatic runs as an "effect" so every note of the chromatic run is not played perfectly in time. There are missing notes, doubled notes, etc. So my mistakes were actually true to that phenomenon.

hverlind wrote:
    Also, I'm a bit puzzled by the "four-chorus long solo" description of the Minor Blues Etude, while there appear to be five choruses?

Yes, that slipped through. Sorry....
    hverlind wrote:
    Finally, this being my first post, I would like to mention that I'm really enjoying this book, I consider it my bible during these first steps of my gypsy jazz adventure. Many thanks to the author, this book has already been worth every penny.

Thanks and I'm glad you're enjoying it! and there's no lack of Gypsy talent around Ghent...you shouldn't have a problem hearing the real thing!!

'm
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    you are in Ghent? I wish i had met you when i was there. I went to a jam session once somewhere on the east side

i think the street was Sint Jacoobstraat or something like that and I played some heavy metal gypsy jazz with the house band
  • MarkMark AustraliaNew
    Firstly I wanted to say how much I love your book. I've played jazz guitar for more than 15 years now, but these last 6 months with your book have seen my right-hand technique improve dramatically. I can play louder and what's more, I can play very fast with minimal tension in my hand.

During my careful study of your wonderful book, I found a few errors I'd like to point for future print runs...

pgs. 4 & 5 Tuck Andress is missing an 's' both times,

pg. 30 text "CD Track #13" is missing,

pg. 35 Ex 3.1 is missing rests at the end of the bar 8,

pg. 40 Ex 5.2 is missing rests at the end of the bar 2,

pg. 50 Ex 13.1 the tuplet in bar 4 should be 11:8 meaning 11 1/16th notes in the space of 8,

pg. 55 Blues 47 - bar 12 should be written beginning with an 1/8th note followed by a dotted 1/4 note,

pg. 56 Blues 47 - bar 22 - beat 1 should finish with a 'G' in the notation rather than an 'A'.

Once again, thanks for an awesome book!!! You've inspired me to bigger and better playing!!! :D
    Hi Mark,

Glad you're enjoying the book! And thanks for the careful editing. I'll fix those in future printings.

-Michael
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    Hello! First, I want to say that this is probably the best book on guitar technique I´ve ever read, I have really enjoyed every page, and it has truly changed my musical life.
    With that said, I´d like to point out a few of what I think are minor mistakes or misprints.
    -Example 13.1. What is written on the book and what is heard in the CD don´t match. At the beggining of bar 2 there are two extra Bb´s written.
    -On page 60 "I´ll see you in my dreams", it should read "...He relies more on melodic development than flashy technique to engage the listener"
    -Page 61 "Blues en Mineur" is mispelt both times and according to the record the version from Intégrale Django Reinhardt vol. 16 was recorded in 1948 not 1949.
    -Finally, it would be useful if, in future printings you could include a picture that shows the true player´s view, since the one on page 14 was shot more from the right side.
    I wish you good luck.
    -Harry
  • djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator
    ok, now we know who the next book editors should be... LOL
    Thanks Harry!

'm
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    Hello again,
    I found a few more minor details in the "Blues 47" solo:

-Bar 8, I´m pretty sure the second bend is not picked and in the next bar the first note is not bent, on the CD.

-Bar 16, a "picked hammer-on" ( both notes are picked but there's a slight hammer-on in between them) is missing from the transcription.

-Bar 23, there's a little trill on the third beat, that's not included in the transcription.

-Bar 25, on the second beat there's an A note (written) instead of G (recorded).

-Bar 30, the trill on the last beat is not played in the recording.

-Bar 32, D# and E chromatic approach notes to F are missing from the
    transcription.

-Bar 42, the slur wasn't printed on the tab.

-Bar 51, a trill between D and Eb is not written.

That's it.
    By the way, great playing and thank you sooo much for writing this book, I really meant it when I said it changed my life.
    I´m looking forward to buying both "Gypsy Fire" and "Gypsy Rhythm".

-Enrique
    Thanks Enrique! I'll add those to my list of fixes.

'm