DjangoBooks.com

Lot of noise or reverb on my Geronimo Mateos Audrey

2»

Comments

• BonesBones Moderator
    The reason I mentioned to check humidity is that you said your action was changing with the weather change but it sounds like ur humidity isn't extreme. Hard to say about the sympathetic vibrations without playing it. What kind of strings are you using? As you say, all guitars do that to a certain extent more or less.
  • canvascanvas GermanyNew Jürgen Volkert, Geronimo Mateos Audrey
    edited November 2016 Posts: 19
    Hello,

@denk8
    the bridge sits flat and full on the top. Today I have controlled the bridge and it seems to be ok. One thing is interesting. When I turn the bridge a little and the high e string area of the bridge comes a little closer to the soundhole and the low e string area comes a little bit to the tailpiece the reverb is significant better.
    I think the reason is that the bridge, if you turn it a little, doesnt sits straight between the moustaches. On this spot is a brace under the top wich leads the tone through the bridge and top to the brace and upwards through the top and bridge directly to the A and E string in case the bridge sits straight between the moustaches. If you turn the bridge the tone doesnt comes as good through the guitar also the ringing frequencies.
    But it doesnt look good on your guitar and the intonation and the sustain gets weaker.
    I saw bridges wich are slightly turned and wondered why anybody has a reason to turn the bridge. Maybe this is the reason.

Maybe its all rubbish and i should play the guitar and shut up.

@Bones
    I use Argentine 11 strings.
  • TubaphoneTubaphone Kansas Mateos Django
    I can't imagine turning a bridge for any reason other than intonation. Sure, it might address other issues such as tone or sympathetic vibrations, but who cares about those things if your guitar sounds out of tune?

I also have a Matteos Django that I thought had a bit more overtones that I would want. Over the past year or so I've noticed it does come and go with the humidity. I may try some different bridges someday, but in the meantime I've learned to live with it, and have even found that it sounds great recorded. Those little overtones that bug me when I'm playing solo on the couch don't really show up, and yeah... the guitar sounds great on the recordings.
    Thanks for the answers.

I think i can live with that too because the guitar is such a great guitar.
    And if I improve my playing skills the better i can handle with the overtones.
    pdg
  • fourowlsfourowls Brisbane, Queensland, AustraliaNew Petrarca Grande Bouche
    Have you tried not playing in the bathroom??
  • BonesBones Moderator
    A D-hole (larger size opening) will have more overtones than an oval (small) hole in my experience. That is not a problem for rhythm in this style and is actually a plus IMHO. But for leads/single note lines it can be somewhat annoying. You may want to try a petite bouche if that bothers you.
    edited November 2019 Posts: 19

Hello,

years later now I will give you a little update. I still own the Mateos Audrey. It is the guitar I do play most of the time and I love the guitar.

The annoying tones are gone because I have done some modifications to the guitar. I sand down all the PU lacquer and I have given it a shellac finish. This has improved the tone a lot. The guitar is incredible loud and the tone is very clear. It seems like the PU has cause the annoying tones.

Now the Mateos is my preferred guitar and I have compared a lot of guitars.

Dirk

BucoKlausUS
  • BonesBones Moderator

Interesting. Thanks for the update. How did you apply the shellac?

Hello,

my guitar teacher did most of the work. The work to remove the PU took one month. The whole work on the guitar took 3 Month. We worked on the guitar only from time to time. Beside the shellac we have made the foot of the neck a lot thinner. Than I took a lot of wood from the bridge. I put Reiner Miller hardware on the head of the guitar.

One dot was removed from 9th to 10th fret. And I put a very thin pickguard on the soundboard.

My guitar teacher put the shellac on a cotton ball and rubbed it into the soundboard and the whole body of the guitar. Again and again.

By the way we have paint the body of the guitar in a lovely honey varnish tone before we have done the shellac work. The guitar is not glossy anymore. It is now in satin.

The neck got some smooth oil on it. Very nice and smooth to play on.

The conclusion is. Never put PU on a guitar. This bulletproof crap is the worst thing you can put on a guitar.

Dirk

t-birdKlausUS