DjangoBooks.com

70 years of Favino guitars...

jerojero Michiana✭✭✭✭ J.P. Favino, Godefroy Maruejouls
Dear comrades in swing,

In celebration of the 70th anniversary of Favino guitars, a French guitar magazine had Adrien Moignard demo three models from the sixties on, followed by a classical guitarist:

Here’s the full article:

https://www.guitaremag.com/article/les-70-ans-de-latelier-favino/

Solidarity,
J
Tagged:
wimMichaelHorowitzJonterrassierBob HoloBuco

Comments

• wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    The quality is excellent! Thanks for sharing
  • ricorico Paris New
    Favino Macias is mine
  • ricorico Paris New
    Here is my favino
    BillDaCostaWilliams
  • ricorico Paris New
    This is it
    BucoMichaelHorowitz
    Nice photo @rico !
    Congrats to Favino family.
    Is it just me or the Macias sounds the most like a flattop acoustic? Of course with the volume and the projection they're known for. It has very strong bass and treble and not much in the middle.
    I think the '64 is my favorite sounding, just so buttery and warm.
    The '89 sounds wonderful but has a bit too much buzz in the bass.
    But then it also depends on how old or new the strings are on all of them.

Which years or models do those very nasally Favinos fall into?
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • ricorico Paris New
    No in fact it was very cold that day, the guitar is reactive to the changes of temperature and it was in summer setting with argentine purple strings. She is not at her top on the video. Now it is in red string and sounds much better. Very dense and warm with beautiful basses, mediums and treble. And adrien plays with a 1.5 mm mediator on this video. For me it is the best of 3. But i'm in love with adrien's one
    Buco
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    edited January 2017 Posts: 6,152
    Buco wrote: »
    Is it just me or the Macias sounds the most like a flattop acoustic?

The Macias models are often very dark, but not always. Although, I wouldn't say the sound is all that much like a flatop as they're much more responsive and the character of the bass is more "flubby" with a popping sort of projection. The one we have in stock right now is probably the best sound one I've heard: http://www.djangobooks.com/Item/jacques-favino-enrico-macias-131

So much character!

Which years or models do those very nasally Favinos fall into?

Generally Favinos from any period will have a more pronounced upper midrange hump which sounds very nasal. Some have more of it than others and some hardly have it all. Generally I'd say the earlier Favinos (60s to mid 70s) predictably have that nasal characteristic whereas later ones vary more. Some of my favorite models are the late 70s/early 80s cedar top Favinos which are quite dry, bright, and clear with little or nasalness. Like this one: http://www.djangobooks.com/Item/jean-pierre-favino-1982

The 90s and later JP Favino stuff really varies as he changed the design so much but even so, many of his guitars still have that characteristic Favino nasalness.

Buco
    This '77 Favino was probably my favorite guitar I ever played at Chicago's Caravan guitars. My band mate John subsequently bought it. I can't hear anything nasal in it's tone. Very lively tone, clean and bright but pleasant.
    And loud.
    Built by the father then the son was doing some neck work.
    Every time I played it I would be enchanted again.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • We really do love our gear don't we.
    MichaelHorowitz
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • jerojero Michiana✭✭✭✭ J.P. Favino, Godefroy Maruejouls
    Let me echo Ted's comments regarding the versatility of Favinos. I've used my D-Hole for klezmer, free jazz, and folk music in addition to gypsy jazz. Because they're so responsive to playing dynamics, they can really adapt to a number of situations.

And beyond "gypsy jazz guitars," Favino -- Jean-Pierre, in particular --has produced some remarkable instruments. I'm lucky enough to own one of Jean-Pierre's "trois rosaces" guitars. It's a pretty unique design, admittedly not everyone's taste, but it's an astonishing finger style guitar. I also have a classical guitar built by Jacques. It has a very old school, warm, romantic sound.

In any case, if you'll forgive the "show and tell," I've posted a pic.

(The guitar on the far left isn't a Favino, but a "Favino-inspired" guitar by Godefroy Maruejouls. Godefroy also makes some amazing guitars. Alas, he seems to be focusing more on electrics these days...)

Buco