DjangoBooks.com

Newbie having 2 questions regarding left thumb

2»

Comments

• Russell LetsonRussell Letson Prodigy
    Note that classical technique places the thumb in the middle of the neck to minimize stress and maximize finger mobility. Of course, classical players aren't usually holding down chord forms and chunking rhythm. Nevertheless, the long-term benefits of classical technique are probably real. My left thumb, both joint and muscle, has started to feel the stress--but after nearly 60 years of playing, age may have more to do with that than my bad habits. I also note that neck geometry plays a role--my wide, flat-fingerboard Dunn is harder on my hands than my narrower, fatter, radiused Broadway.

For the record, my left-hand position most of the time is closest to the C6 #3 grip: meat of the thumb base against the neck with the thumb available to wrap around. Bad habits persist over the decades.
    lewischang88
  • MatteoMatteo Sweden✭✭✭✭ JWC Modele Jazz, Lottonen "Selmer-Maccaferri"
    I learned the thumb wrap around technique during the punk rock years; it was the only possibility to play barré chords while having the guitar hanging appropriately low. :) Later, it was fun to discover that I had use for that particular left hand technique when I started to learn Django music. Talk about old habits, good or bad...
    Bucolewischang88t-bird
  • AndrewUlleAndrewUlle Cleveland, OH✭✭✭ Cigano GJ-15
    As a relative newcomer to GJ, and as a rhythm-focused player for 35 years, I have only a couple thoughts to add here. First, as I've been learning these new chord shapes, I first concentrated on the simpler (3-finger) closer forms. When I became comfortable with those, I slowly added new chords, many of which were just variations on the simple forms (adding 1 or 2 fretted notes). As someone noted above, with practice the harder reaches will get easier, and you will likely find what's comfortable for your hand's anatomy.

The second thought is that, from your pictures, I see that your guitar has a slim neck profile. As an electric guitar player first, I always preferred a slim neck. But since I got my DiMauro, which has a fairly deep C-shape neck, I personally think it's EASIER to grip chords with less pressure & stress on my left hand and thumb. You don't need to squeeze nearly as much to apply pressure on the fret board in my opinion. I think a slim neck may be preferred for fast lead playing, but I am enjoying the fatter neck of my DiMauro for making chords.

Just my personal experience; YMMV.
    lewischang88
  • I want to thank everyone who addressed my questions. From your info I actually have found good solutions that minimize discomfort of my left thumb:
    First, when pinching the neck, avoid (B) and use (C) at least for now until I have good thumb strength. That cut down 90% of my pain.
    Second, when playing C6 (and many other chords), use (1) more and (3) less. It's OK to let the thumb poke out. That cut down the remaining discomfort.
    Last night I played 45 minutes and had no problem at all!