DjangoBooks.com

Need Advice Buying a Gypsy Guitar from Classifieds

2»

Comments

• Brad HermanBrad Herman San Francisco, CANew JWC Modele Jazz, Stankevicius Alena, Alexander Polyakov Selmer #6
    @Lindyhopper i was in your boat about 4 months ago and ended up getting a lot of great advice... Settled on ordering a JWC from London and absolutely love it. Ended up coming in right around $2000 after shipping and £ conversion. He has some cheaper models too. If you want to play one beforehand to see what it feels like, since spending around $2k sight unseen is a gamble, I'd be happy to have you over for a beer and you can play around on mine. I live in SF near Upper Haight and have a nice little guitar collection.
  • Brad HermanBrad Herman San Francisco, CANew JWC Modele Jazz, Stankevicius Alena, Alexander Polyakov Selmer #6
    @Lindyhopper oops, just saw your followup... should have read on to the second page!... either way, offer still stands
  • Jeff MooreJeff Moore Minneapolis✭✭✭✭ Lebreton 2
    edited April 2017 Posts: 476
    I think you did exactly the right thing. If your not really familiar with the sound of these things, how can you win, even with a huge bank account? This takes time. Meanwhile you have a great guitar to work with.
    Eventually (quickly, if your really into it and move around where people are playing this stuff) you'll get a feel for the sound you like.
    I don't get around. My solution has been to trust Michael. It's worked for me. 15 years into it, my taste is still wandering, but the guitars I bought from Michael occupy the majority of my fickle attention and will often "knock me out" again for the 100th time.
    Practice and save up money. When your opportunity comes, it might not last more than a couple days.
    I have a Gitane D500 and its Cigano brother that I love to play, by the way.
    BucoLindyhopper
    "We need a radical redistribution of wealth and power" MLK