DjangoBooks.com

2011 Zwinakis petite bouche - SOLD

13»

Comments

• wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    edited June 2017 Posts: 1,457
    I'm thinking there are 5 braces. based on my incredibly unscientific tapping on the top. Honestly, it is something I've never been asked nor thought about.
    What's a good way to figure it out?

Gypsy guitars may have a top so thin that light shines through. Well, maybe not a cheapy factory guitar with 6mm of lacquer on top, but most good luthier-made guitars should do it. So you can put some bicycle LEDs inside and take a photo. Here's an example with my Barault. In this particular case, you can clearly see the bottom brace is missing (because it's a Selmer 503 replica).

syscnw5yfbsr.jpg

k3nlfgn54lg1.jpg

jonpowlBarkonator
  • Great idea. I've just got to find an LED small enough to fit through the mouth.
  • Paul CrabillPaul Crabill Zwinakis Mystery
    I had a full setup done with fret level and polish and had the luthier check the braces inside. It has four braces like Django's. The luthier had a cool telescoping, lighted mirror that fit through the hole.
  • How is it playing, Paul?
  • Paul CrabillPaul Crabill Zwinakis Mystery
    Hey Jim, It plays incredibly well. The luthier that did the work graduated from the Roberto Venn school of luthiery and was close by. He did a great job and really made it sing. Also, it put a set of DR tuners on it and they look great. Thanks again Jim and Happy Holidays.