DjangoBooks.com

Modal & Alternative Pentatonic Scales

Elí SaúlElí Saúl Toluca, Mexico.New Dell'Arte DG-H2
in Gypsy Jazz 101 Posts: 104
Greetings!
I was wondering if any of you could provide me some songs (or refer me to books that explain the subject) and artists that use pentatonic scales substitution over any given chord progression.
I know them as "modal" and "Alternative" pentatonic scales, as an example:
C ionian (cmaj7) has this possible choices
C major pentatonic (root)
F Major pentatonic (modal)
G major pentatonic (alternative)
D Dorian
D minor pentatonic (root)
E minor pentatonic (modal)
A minor pentatonic (alternative)
E Phrygian
E minor pentatonic (root)
D minor Pentatonic (modal)
A Major Pentatonic (Alternative)
And so on...
My main issue is that when I use this scales while improvising I find myself kinda out of my ground as I don't really use pentatonic scales, and end up doing horrible phrases.
I know G. Benson is known to use this resources in his music but I'm interested in more artists that use this in order to get used to the sound of such and specially in order to bring up some new ideas for Gjazzing.
If i'm not wrong i think Mozes Rosenberg does gives use at some extent this things , specially alternative pentatonic over V7 or maybe he does superimposition of arpeggios Im7 over V that sounds quite similar.
Tagged:

Comments

• richter4208richter4208 ✭✭✭
    Personally I think you are over thinking but I have a couple suggestions: give Steve Khans Pentantonic Khancepts a read. He breaks down a lot of possibilities in a jazz context.
    Other suggestion is start with this YouTube series on the subject and see where it takes you
    Elí Saúl
  • If you really get down to it ...there is only one scale you need to know....the chromatic scale. The artistry is learning to make appropriate phrases with that scale depending upon the harmony going on. Inside creates less tension outside creates more.
    Elí Saúl
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • Elí SaúlElí Saúl Toluca, Mexico.New Dell'Arte DG-H2
    Scales are not worrying me, but the ideas built upon them.
    I was listening to jim hall and I think it got me some ideas on this subject.
    Scofield uses this stuff as well, and chick Korea in a different way. Just want new resources for improvising but ain't used to this one! My mind doesn't develop intuitive ideas with the «sound» of it.
    I guess I shouldn't have avoided pentatonic scales all this years!
  • bopsterbopster St. Louis, MOProdigy Wide Sky PL-1, 1940? French mystery guitar, ‘37 L-4
    edited July 2017 Posts: 513
    This opened some doors for me years ago.
    Elí Saúl
  • I think of scales as the musical equivalent of the alphabet. One needs to learn Arpeggio's and chords are to my mind like words. I think one is better off learning phrases that have meaning to oneself in several positions. With differing rhythm. Once you can play a scale quickly forget about it
    Elí Saúl
  • Elí SaúlElí Saúl Toluca, Mexico.New Dell'Arte DG-H2
    bopster wrote: »
    This opened some doors for me years ago.

:o I see, I'll check it out.
    Jazzaferri wrote: »
    I think of scales as the musical equivalent of the alphabet. One needs to learn Arpeggio's and chords are to my mind like words. I think one is better off learning phrases that have meaning to oneself in several positions. With differing rhythm. Once you can play a scale quickly forget about it

I have a very similar view about music in general, it is really just another language.
    I guess I'm looking for more vocabulary, maybe some fancy accent.

Pentatonic scale sounds to me a bit odd honestly, I remember back when I started learning I would avoid it because i didn't like it's sound That much, made me feel somewhat uncomfortable. Even today it still makes me feel odd when I use it. However I got a few acquaintances who I enjoy their use of pentatonic scales over different genres. I just wanna find my own way to use them.
    Josechiky
  • One of the great R & B hits of the last century was the notes of the major pentatonic scale up to the octave. My Girl Check it out on yourtube.

Way too much emphasis on notes....a simple melody with great rhythm is much more effective at communicating to the audience than afancy melodic statement with little rhythmic variation
    BucoElí Saúl
  • sorry too quick on send.

it was the very catchy riff that is the pentatonic notes in ascending order
    Elí Saúl