DjangoBooks.com

"Fishman Aura Spectrum" preamp/DI ... anybody tried one?

2»

Comments

• Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    edited September 2017 Posts: 1,855
    Thanks for telling me about the Zoom products, Buco, I've been reading online about both their A2 and A3. I'm hoping one will work in conjunction with my Ischell pickup... I wasn't actually thinking about a stompbox before, but what the hey...
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • TrevorTrevor Sheffield UK
    Hey Will! How’s it going?
    I like the Fishman Aura.
    Many years ago when I first used a piezo pickup, it sounded pretty bad, but with even a cheap pre-amp it made it sound a lot better.
    The Fishman Aura is way more sophisticated than most preamps. I’ve tried a Fishman Aura with a regular acoustic guitar with a piezo, and it certainly made it sound a lot less ‘piezo like’ and it was much more like the sound of an actual acoustic guitar. You can also download ‘models’ of various guitars (and mandolins) including a Selmer style guitar. In theory a GJ guitar with a piezo could sound a lot more ‘realistic’ with this box.
    I didn’t end up buying it – although one day I still might, if I get a bridge pick up installed on my GJ guitar.
    What I actually decided to buy was a Zoom A3, and it’s proved incredibly useful. It’s got XLR and mic inputs and outputs, lots of eq (graphic and parametric) and even effects – delays, compressors, and whatnot.
    I don’t bother with the effects, mostly. But the other features alone make it highly useful as a preamp/DI. I’ve used it in a GJ context with an Audio Technic clip on mic, and have been very pleased with the sound. I don’t think the ‘modelling’ applies when it’s mic input, only on the piezo or magnetic inputs.
    The box also supplies phantom power, so you can use condenser mics, and also has an adjustable clean boost pedal for solos, and a 3 frequency automatic feedback killer. There’s an onboard tuner and the display is backlit LCD, so you can see it on dark stages, and in bright outdoor conditions too (unlike LEDs).
    I’ve also used the Zoom with a flat top and piezo pickup. I don’t think it sounds quite as good as the Fishman for turning peizo signals into something resembling an acoustic guitar, but it is definitely a marked improvement, and highly convenient and usable for noisy pub gigs.
    I’ve also used it for double bass, mandolin and my fiddle player has also used it, and I’ve been very satisfied with the results. I think it’s the most useful box for acoustic instruments I’ve ever had, because of its versatility for live playing.
    I don’t know anything about Ischell pick ups, or why they don’t work with the Fishman. Are they XLR output or something? If so, then the Zoom A3 might be something you could look at.
    Buco