DjangoBooks.com

Searching for Joseph Reinhardt's version of Tears

I'd really like to hear Joseph Reinhardt's version of Tears but haven't been able to find a downloadable version of it. If anyone has it or knows if it's available somewhere I'd really appreciate the help!

Comments

• scotscot Virtuoso
    Here's the tune, Vivian Villerstein on violin, Henri Adel on rhythm. A great version of this tune!
    ChrisMartinBillDaCostaWilliams
  • aresemesaresemes New
    Thank you Scot!
    I thought it'd be a great song for him to play and it truly was! Nin-Nin always puts an interesting spin on Django's songs, particularly the sadder ones. I feel he's a bit darker than his brother; Django is more playful while Joseph likes to set the mood. He plays solo guitar like a rhythm player. I really liked the amplified tone he got too!
    Thanks again!
  • Teddy DupontTeddy Dupont Deity
    Joseph was always more Jazz than Gypsy Jazz.
    ChrisMartin
  • MitchMitch Paris, Jazz manouche's capital city!✭✭✭✭ Di Mauro, Lebreton, Castelluccia, Patenotte, Gallato
    Thank you Scot for this!! I had never heard it before. Love the sound of the recording and the playing of course.
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    Great recording, thanks!

It's interesting in bars 5-12 of the head, Joseph strongly emphasizes the 6th string downward bass line.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • PapsPierPapsPier ✭✭
    I dont know if I would say darker. it is true that he has a melancholic side but when you listen to the recording of the tune Mon Pote le Gitan, it is definitely a weird and unique arrangement but a quite cheerful one.
    And I dont know what you mean by play solo like a rhythm player but he was definitely a good rhythm player. Maybe that Joseph was not as melodically creative as Django but that his solos had a good rhythmic quality.
    Like the one on Harlem Swing.

FYI You can hear all those recordings on this page dedicated to the discography of Joseph
    https://djangonewquintettclarinet.wordpress.com/2017/08/16/discographie-de-joseph-reinhardt/
  • scotscot Virtuoso
    The final two LPs on Paps' discography have a good selection of Joseph's melancholy and idiosyncratic compositions, full of odd turns and tons of atmosphere, along with cool arrangements of standards. As Ted says, he was a somber guy and it came out in his playing. These recordings are really quite rare; it's good to see them up where they can be heard by all.
  • scotscot Virtuoso
    And don't miss that crazy and transcendent version of Mon Pote le Gitane - completely unique. Henri Crolla made some similar recordings of solo guitar pieces, if you like this it's worth tracking that one down too.
  • PapsPierPapsPier ✭✭
    It is written in the Acknowledgments but it is also good to remember the generous people. All the recordings proposed on the website mentioned above are there due to the generosity of Scot!! Thanks again
  • NotoNoto
    edited March 2022 Posts: 39