DjangoBooks.com

SOLD - Jacques Favino - (#205, 1972)

2»

Comments

• crescendocrescendo Palo Alto, CaliforniaNew Favino
    edited October 2017 Posts: 38
    Glad this post has inspired some lively debate...

There's a real question here about value. What makes a guitar valuable? Sound, playability?

Then what makes an antique coin valuable? It poses no usefulness other than scarcity and sheer collectibility.

The point here is that what makes a guitar valuable is purely a question of how many exist, and how many people want them. Even in the NYSE, the current "stock price" is whatever the last trade happened to be -- not the asking price, and not even anything related to a company's profitability or performance.

Is JP Favino a better value than a Jacques Favino? That's a really tough question. Personally, I have a preference, but it's an opinion. If you'd like a great video comparing the sound characteristics:

Is this specific Favino (#205) properly priced? Definitely seen lesser guitars sell for more. Also seen great guitars (especially non-vintage) sell for very little. Taking the pulse of the market place, you'd be hard-pressed to find a similar year Jacques listed for less.

If folks out there on the blog know where I can find these mythical "less expensive" Jacques, please let me know.

Again "happy to give a much better price to folks on the forum" - meaning I've listed it publicly, but want to support the community here (where I too have benefitted greatly). So I'd be happy to see it go to someone here for a lot less.

I've had 57 people directly message me on the forum and facebook. They know what I'm asking privately.

Thanks.

PS - asking someone to "stop hatin' " is not a personal jab; it's an internet meme. -- e.g. mostly a joke. @Ted Gottsegen and I are friendly -- respect you and your views.

• wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    @crescendo No need to defend your words - if someone thinks the price ain't right then they don't buy, simple as that. Chris Martin is often grumpy and argumentative, he can be safely ignored.
    jonpowlBuco
  • scotscot Virtuoso
    Regarding old Favinos, here is a message from a friend in central France in Oct 2016. I wasn't able to find a buyer for him. But if anyone is seriously interested, I'll see if he still has it. I have photos.

C'est une première main.Je l'ai commandée à Jacques Favino en 1972.Il me la livrée en juillet 1973.J'ai accompagné Francis Moerman pendant quelques années de temps en temps ( Peut être 5ans ) puis ma carrière proffessionnelle et ma famille ne m'ont pas permis de continuer à jouer en groupe.Cette guitare à donc été très peu utilisée pendant 30 années et c'est ce qui explique son très bon état .Je l'ai apportée à Jean Pierre Favino en juin 2015 pour sa 1ere révision.Il a fait 2 choses .Un frettage neuf et un chevalet neuf.Ce sont les seules mise à niveau de cette guitare après 42 ans de vie .Je te joint quelques photos ainsi que le certificat d'authenticité fait par Jean Pierre.Jean Pierre la valorisée à 6000 Euros sur le marché Européen.
    C'est pour moi le prix au départ de France.Si tu trouves un acheteur je serais très content.

Mind you, if I have a dog in this fight at all, it is with Spencer, and I own a JP Favino guitar myself - which I much prefer to the Macias I used to own. I just can't imagine anyone paying that much for a guitar like this. If I turn out to be wrong, OK!

The video does give what I'd call a pretty accurate comparison of those three styles of Favino. And Moignard is a terrific player.
    Buco
    Man, Wim, when you say it you really say it.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • ChrisMartinChrisMartin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Di Mauro x2, Petrarca, Genovesi, Burns, Kremona Zornitsa & Paul Beuscher resonator.
    Luckily, I am not so 'grumpy' as to take Wim's bait and can safely ignore him. As for the 'hating' thing, if Crescendo was sharing a private joke with Ted then so be it and I apologise if I misread the dialogue. I do however despair for the future generations who have been brought up with only facebook to guide their philosophy. I worry that the online 'hating' of anyone you disagree with may spread to the real world. I also note that the possibly opportunistic asking price appears now, after some remarks from folks on here, to be maybe more negotiable down toward a correct value. So, and this may be testing even Wim's sense of humour, what is my Favino, also from Jacques' 'golden period' (dated 1969) worth today? See photo.
  • crescendocrescendo Palo Alto, CaliforniaNew Favino
    Guitar is sold - thanks for all the interest and great discussion!

Best
    - Spencer
  • AndrewUlleAndrewUlle Cleveland, OH✭✭✭ Cigano GJ-15
    what is my Favino, also from Jacques' 'golden period' (dated 1969) worth today? See photo.

https://reverb.com/item/6134681-jacques-favino-acoustic-brassens-1964
  • ChrisMartinChrisMartin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Di Mauro x2, Petrarca, Genovesi, Burns, Kremona Zornitsa & Paul Beuscher resonator.
    edited October 2017 Posts: 959
    what is my Favino, also from Jacques' 'golden period' (dated 1969) worth today? See photo.

https://reverb.com/item/6134681-jacques-favino-acoustic-brassens-1964
    Strange that it was listed in Belgium, called it a 'Brassens' and then said without the tailpiece and fitted with nylon strings. A nylon strung classical or Spanish guitar and a steel strung Brassens Favino are two different things. Anyway, mine is a 5A according to the label, has a straight neck, new Rubner tuners and plays and sounds good although the cosmetics are showing their age. It is not really for sale anyway, I just wondered if it is suddenly worth a lot more than I had thought (a grand at most) now?

And well done Crescendo. I hope both buyer and seller are happy, that is all that really matters.