DjangoBooks.com

schatten or shertler basik ?

calòcalò Bilbao, SpainNew
Hello all, i have a big dilema,I want to install a pickup on my D500 but I don´t know wich one it could be the best buy, by the moment I can´t afford a DynG, that´s why I´m thinking about the basik pro and the schatten active one.
Do I need a preamp with the basik? and wich one?, I`m using now two AKG transducers(piezo an micromic), and I^m so tired off the feedback, moving the transducers to get a mediocre sound, and the cables around the guitar. Thanks

Comments

• dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    i have both schatten and DYN-G

i use an AER compact 60 amp.

i use the schatten more these days simply because it's more practical, just need a 1/4 inch cable and plug directly..

but i also really like the sound from the DYN-G.

I'd say that the schatten comes closer to the sound of a natural acoustic guitar. the DYN-G seems to color tthe tone a little bit but in a nice way for me... i suppose it 's a matter of preference

the great thing about the DYN-G is obviously the fact t hat u conveniently can use it for any guitar .
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    The basik is a different pickup then the DYN-G. Totally different technology and sound. It's brighter then then the DYN-G...picks up the "crunch" of Selmers really well. It tends to have lower gain then the DYN-G, so the STAT-PRE preamp is recommended. The pre-amp also sweetens the tone a little. Other preamp won't work...they have to be electrostatic and most aren't.

Andreas Oberg, Neil Andresson, and many others are now using the Basik. I'm now using it as my main pick up....it's really nice. especially since it's cheaper then the DYN.

'm
  • Charlie AyersCharlie Ayers Salt Lake CityProdigy
    Hi Michael:

Does the lower gain make the Basik less prone to feedback, than the Dyn-G?

Thanks,
    Charlie
    I'd say the basik is somewhat less prone to feedback then the DYN-G. Gain has nothing to do with it, since you can only compare feedback resistance at the same volume.

Both the DYN-G and the Basik are very feedback resistant if used in conjunction with the a Schertler amp or the PREA II pre amp. Both have a "reson" control which dials out problematic feedback frequencies. It works really well and allows you to get super loud, even with the amp right next to you.

'm
  • djadamdjadam Boulder, CONew
    Currently I'm using a DG-250M equipped with a Schatten pickup into a Compact 60 via a Baggs preamp. I agree that the schatten sounds very natural. It doesn't seem to color the sound at all. Took me some fiddling with the preamp to really nail the sound though.

Also, I've found that it's quite resistant to feedback. I've played lots of loud gigs without problem, so long as the body of my guitar is not directly in front of the amp.

All that said, I wonder how this pickup would sound in a higher-end guitar. I really like the sound of my 255, but it's tone is far from complex.
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    calò wrote:
    Hello all, i have a big dilema,I want to install a pickup on my D500 but I don´t know wich one it could be the best buy, by the moment I can´t afford a DynG, that´s why I´m thinking about the basik pro and the schatten active one.
    djadam wrote:
    Currently I'm using a DG-250M equipped with a Schatten pickup into a Compact 60 via a Baggs preamp...that said, I wonder how this pickup would sound in a higher-end guitar. I really like the sound of my 255, but it's tone is far from complex.

This brings up something I've noticed lately-it seems like a lot of people are installing pickups in their Gitanes. And as Dennis wrote:
    dennis wrote:
    the great thing about the DYN-G is obviously the fact t hat u conveniently can use it for any guitar .

Can the Schatten be easily removed if you decide to buy a different guitar? I only ask because I wonder if the expense of the pickup might not be better put toward a better instrument...the D-500 was my first foray into these instruments, and at the time I was really sold on it, and I still have it, but it wasn't long before I realized the difference between the Gitane and some of the better instruments that in the long run aren't that much more expensive.

I suppose I'm simply saying I'm glad I didn't rush into any particular pickup until I'd played and owned a variety of instruments...I'd hate to install something only to decide I wanted a new guitar a few months later.

Best,
    Jack.
    I've never tried a Schatten, but a well known pro told me that he had one installed and it really dampened the acoustic sound of his instrument. If I understand correctly, the schatten is attached to one of the braces, so it makes sense you might loose some acoustic sound that way.

Of course, that may also help with feedback. Less acoustic sound will definitely protect against feedback. But it's a bummer if you're using the instrument acousticaly as well.

'm
  • fraterfrater Prodigy
    Worse than that: it attaches to TWO braces, connecting them like a sort of bridge. No wonder it makes the top a bit stiffer...
  • calòcalò Bilbao, SpainNew
    Michael, can I use a pre a II with the basik?.
    I play through the mixer to the PA, and sometimes( depending how big is the gig) I plug into an small FBT selfpowered monitor(I know is not the best amp setup), I wonder if it would be better the basik pro or not.
    Jack an Dennis you are right, its a pitty to spend money on a pickup if you are planning to buy a new guitar (sooner or later we all do it), of course the day that I will upgrade to a better gipsy guitar , I can sell the Gitane with the schatten in.

A thing that worries me about the schectler is feedback and having the transducer in the soundboard, (you know, moving the pickup to get the right spot) , that´s what I like the schatten, just plug and play, but I don,t want to lose sound in my guitar when unplugged and I like the fact that you have the same pickup even if you change of guitar
    The pre A-II is sounds awesome with the basik. It's warmer then the Stat-Pre and you also get more control over eq and gain. The best thing is that the pre AII has the "Reson" control so you can dial out feedback...it will allow you to get very loud.

'm