DjangoBooks.com

Just one of those things Sep 47

PapsPierPapsPier ✭✭
in Repertoire Posts: 426
Hi guys
I just published the transcription of this version of Just one of those things. (main theme and choruses are both available).
What I love in this chorus of Django is the mix of traditional swing elements and more modern long phrases that he didnt really played before.

Hope you ll like it

https://djangonewquintettclarinet.wordpress.com/2016/10/05/just-one-of-those-things-2/

And just a reminder for those who dont know what tune is that
steffoBucoJosechiky

Comments

• wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    edited October 2017 Posts: 1,454
    What a coincidence, I was just studying this tune last night - good one! Thanks PapsPier, I look forward to checking out your transcription when I get home later this evening.

Personally, I was working on the other version:

steffo
  • PapsPierPapsPier ✭✭
    Hi Wim funny indeed!
    And just for info, there is a mistake in the labelling of the video: this version is not from 1953 but from 1947 too. But it was recorded in May for a disc, in Brussels (and not for the radio as the one from September). And I have a preference for the one you posted. I especially like the lick that starts at 1'40 and keeps building tension to give an impulse to the clarinet to start the solo.

I acknowledge that Grappelli and Django were one of a kind duo. But Rostaing and Django works really as a great duo too, they seem to know instinctively what the other one will play and they managed to create great ambiances with their duos (just one example Anniversary Song 47)
    steffo
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Hey thanks again Paps!

BTW the link for the playalong doesn't look right.
  • PapsPierPapsPier ✭✭
    Yes sorry for the playalong. I ve been ""lazy"these days and I didnt record any new playalong.
    But I ll in the future and update the pages with the correct links.
  • BonesBones Moderator
    NP- thanks again for all your effort on this project!!
    Matteo
  • spudspud paris, france✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Paps- are you sure about those chords for the descending part? i've tried lots of variations-they all seem to "fit" for my ears.
    how do you guys handle those changes? same as djangology?